Razors for Feather SE blades

Starting with the question, which razors do Feather SE blades fit, quickly came to Valet Auto-Strop razors.

Are they any good? Which is the best to look for in terms of getting a close and comfortable shave?

Are there any other notable razors that use Feather SE blades? (given that finding a Feather SE razor is like looking for hen's teeth.)

Gear drives on the side of a razor?? I'm intrigued!

Bechet45 said:
Starting with the question, which razors do Feather SE blades fit, quickly came to Valet Auto-Strop razors.

Are they any good? Which is the best to look for in terms of getting a close and comfortable shave?

Are there any other notable razors that use Feather SE blades? (given that finding a Feather SE razor is like looking for hen's teeth.)

I use them in my Gem Pushbutton and put a spine on one and used it in my 1912.

lindyhop66 said:
They fit the Kai and Feather Artist Club straights that use disposeable blades and also the Korean knockoff of the Feather AC RG (Japanese handle).

http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/forum/thread-14561.html

please familiarise :)

Aha! gear drive for flip-flop auto-strop!

OK - do Feather SE blades fit all Valet Auto-Strops? I've just bought a 'C' model.

Do Feather SE blades fit a bullet-point MicroMatic?

Looks like I need ten whatever.

Mondoj said:
Bechet45 said:

Exactly almost all Ever Ready/GEM SE razors will work, apart from the MicroMatic (all models). The older models 1912, 1914 and 1924 might need a spine. I have not tried the Streamline.

Wil said:
Mondoj said:
Bechet45 said:

Exactly almost all Ever Ready/GEM SE razors will work, apart from the MicroMatic (all models). The older models 1912, 1914 and 1924 might need a spine. I have not tried the Streamline.

I really like them in my 1912 after spinning them, bummer that it won't work with an OCMM.

Mondoj said:
I really like them in my 1912 after spinning them, bummer that it won't work with an OCMM.

So, I assume that the 1912 refers to an Ever Ready but what does 'Spinning them ' refer to?
I really am learning lots of new things lately.

Helveticum said:
UKRob said:
So, I assume that the 1912 refers to an Ever Ready but what does 'Spinning them ' refer to?

Putting a spine on, I'm assuming :)

Yes that's what I meant, I tend to make up words. Spinning - to add a spine to a feather se blade or the like. :). And yes I was referring to a Gem 1912.

You may be the man for me, Mondoj!

I'm looking for a generous person to donate a Feather FHS-5 Hi-Stainless blade or two to a good cause - Feather SE - namely me! Once bitten over 100 Gem SE blades that I did not like when I tried them, twice shy over Feather SE blades - and Paul needs £6 to send me five of them.

Anybody got one or two they can spare, please?

Bechet45 said:

I'm looking for a generous person to donate a Feather FHS-5 Hi-Stainless blade or two to a good cause - Feather SE - namely me! Once bitten over 100 Gem SE blades that I did not like when I tried them, twice shy over Feather SE blades - and Paul needs £6 to send me five of them.

I'm currently out and only order 5 per order from razorbladesandmore. Sorry

Mondoj said:
Helveticum said:
UKRob said:

Yes that's what I meant, I tend to make up words. Spinning - to add a spine to a feather se blade or the like. :). And yes I was referring to a Gem 1912.

Ah - I see. Originally I read it as in spinning top. So I assume you lever a spine from a Gem and slip it over the feather? How do you rate the feather against the gem - what I'm trying to get to is whether the trouble is worth it?

Bechet45 said:

I've sent off for some Feather SEs Bro Bechet, in the TSR spirit of "taking one for the Team". So I'll let you know when they arrive & if you haven't received any from another source I'll happily pop a couple off to you. The trade off is that every few months you give us an update on Carmen.

JohnnyO. \:blush:

UKRob said:
Mondoj said:
Helveticum said:
UKRob said:

Ah - I see. Originally I read it as in spinning top. So I assume you lever a spine from a Gem and slip it over the feather? How do you rate the feather against the gem - what I'm trying to get to is whether the trouble is worth it?

It's definitely a YMMV question but I give thee nod to the Feather over the Gem for sharpness (duh) and closeness of shave, but you really cannot go wrong with the the blades. I have to say that if Feather made spined SE blades I would be all over them as my primary blade. The spinning isn't that hard, the is a YouTube video on how to remov spines from se blades for use with a Valet AutoStrop. I usually remove them from industrial SE blades at work when I'm board, or you can take them off worn gem blades, just wrap the blade first or bread knife it for safety. Btw the Gem wins on longevity and price.

Back
Top Bottom