Razorpit

Ids

Found this on shaving.ie and have done I bit of research and it's meant to extend the life of a cartridge blade past 150 shaves! I usually manage 5. Anyone have any personal experience if the razorpit before I pull the trigger?

Re: Razopit

I always have my eye out for one of those DE blade stroppers from the fifties.
As uncoated blades are still available I have always been curious about their efficacy.
Unfortunately they only come in two varieties - encrusted with rust and worse for pennies or pristine (collector grade) for a fortune.
Ho - hum :roll:

Thanks to the kindness of Damien I should have one within a few weeks, once I've given it a but of a run I'll post a review or maybe a day to day review on shave of the day.

I think the main interest of this in a DE environment would be for the odd occasion a cartridge is used, it could have all the crud removed from it before storage ensuring it's tip top for next use.

I have one and used it a bit. Bought it back in the day before all their fancy new packaging etc.

I dunno if I'd say it ever went to 150 shaves from one blade but I certainly got a lot longer from them. However it isn't a sharpener, it will simply clean the blades giving them a keen edge, much in the same way a strop does for a straight razor.

SirPrize said:
I always have my eye out for one of those DE blade stroppers from the fifties.
As uncoated blades are still available I have always been curious about their efficacy.
Unfortunately they only come in two varieties - encrusted with rust and worse for pennies or pristine (collector grade) for a fortune.
Ho - hum :roll:

I have a couple, including a brand new one - from an estate from a person that reportedly bought two of everything, just in case. Do they work, yes they do, but with a footnote, as I already remarked in some other thread.

Modern day blades are MUCH sharper than the DE blades these thingies were designed for (original design of the Allegro honer and stropper (which is Swiss BTW) is from the early thirties, and the most recent model is I think from the early 40s and has been produced until sometime in the 50s). In my experience, a good Allegro can keep a Gillette Superthin or Astra Keramik (the only two brands I've extensive honing experience with) consistently at a sharpness resembling a 3 or 4 day old blade. My guess is that they could keep classic DE blades, which were much heavier, at about that same sharpness. The difference being that for old DE blades, that meant bringing the blade back to ca. factory sharpness, whereas with modern ultrathin, ultrasharp blades, you will not be able to bring it back to factory sharpness. I suspect that modern blades are in fact chemically sharpened...

Back
Top Bottom