Razor types - myths/realities.

Nothing matches the closeness of a straight razor shave.

DE versus Mach 3 - no contest. But which way?

The old DE razors are the best.

Nothing like the old single edge.

They are all just as good, depends how you use them.

And so on.

Like many here. I've now tried the lot. And have had very good shaves with each type of razor. I have posted this thread because I noticed comments about the Mach 3 in this week's shave of the day. Millions get excellent shaves with Mach 3 with or without brushes and quality creams. Seems like a confession when someone reverts to using them after switching to a DE or straight.

For me it's about the pleasure I get from shaving as well as the end result. So on balance I prefer the DE experience although I probably get a better end result with a straight plus DE tidy up. And occasionally I will enjoy a Mach 3 - that now feels like going back to the old days.

I guess everyone is right. It's fun finding out what we prefer these days.

I had a few packs of mach3's left over from when I made the jump to spending my time talking about shaving on the internet and shaving with stuff older than me.

I did enjoy breaking out a fresh mach3 blade now and again, using it for a few shaves instead of trying to coax several weeks use it of one because I was too stubborn to replace them when they had dulled.

Then my wife realised it was a little silly of her to buy new cartridges for her razors when I had mach3 and Azur blades lying around. May as well use up mine before buying hers. Maybe I can find a good hiding place for a pack of mach3's.

I've still never tried using a decent quality electric but I can't say I'm in a huge rush to try. I'm quite happy where I am, although a small safe with some cartridges wouldn't go amiss.

I probably get the closest shave with the fewset passes from a Fusion Power. However the first pass can be fairly uncomfortable - even with just one days stubble. For me the DE is more comfortable and, if I take the time, gets really good results. I know from years of experience that to get a completely smooth as glass shave my face will pay the price. I tend to have a work day/weekend shaving approach. As you can imagine the work day is more to do with being comfortable, clean and tidy while at the weekend I can take my time.

I might just buy a fusion and apply what I know now....ummm no I won't.

Even my kids can't kiss me without getting abrasion cut's, I see Fido's happy shiny chops and I think you Sassenach's can shave with a lolly stick and get away with it. That's the beauty of this pass time.

hear hear

it's not the razor that makes the difference
as long as you use a brush and soap\cream,
with proper technique and prep, your laughing.

I agree.

There are so many subjective things. For example, the Vision is an ugly/useless razor. Far From it. The beast would look great in many bathrooms. I like the fact it can be completely dismantled for a clean and the finish is nice. They way it 'gathers' cut hairs and cream/soap is a little unique too. And, I really don't think it is that heavy. I do agree that £75 is a lot to pay for a razor. However, I see some ugly aristocrats going for over £100. lol.

As said already, technique, technique, technique and a good prep + soap/cream and you could potentially get along with many different razors.

For some of us however, a sharp blade is a must and the cartridges simply won't do.

I agree with Sonny about the sharp blade, Because I need one. I've tried the so-called mild blades but they seem to do the opposite making my face sore tugging at the beard ending with nicks here and there. Add to the sharp blade a cream or soap that's had some time taken over it ie. thoroughly whipped-up in bowl or on face IMHO makes a great difference to the shave.

Back
Top Bottom