Razor suggestions needed please

1) What is the difference between open comb and closed comb razors - both technically and impact in terms of use/usability and results?

Open comb have a comb / teeth not a bar. They are often mire aggressive but dont need to be. Can be better through a thick growth.

2) other than ease of changing/inserting blades, would preference be for 2 or 3 piece razors

It wouldn't influence me either way.

3) do specific razor/blade parings work better than others?

Yes. Also throw your face into that equation. We are all different.

The advice to try one setup for a while is good

To update I bought a MÜHLE R89 with Twist for around the budget I had set, as it was reduced in price slightly and looks a little easier to change blades. This choice was based on the number of forum recommendations and positive online reviews. I also picked up 50 of the matching MÜHLE blades.

MÜHLE TRADITIONAL 'Twist' Chrome R89 Safety Razor - Closed Comb

Shop at MUHLE UK for the R89 TRADITIONAL Chrome 'Twist' Closed Comb Safety Razor. PLASTIC-FREE Shaving Solution. The MUHLE Shaving Culture, made in Germany, since 1945. Purchase online today. FREE UK shipping options.
muehle-shaving.co.uk
muehle-shaving.co.uk

Popped my DE razor cherry using some Bluebeards Revenge pre shave oil and the RozoRock Santa Maria Del Fiore soap and matching splash (lovely scent but don’t last all that long) followed by Alum block and some Harry’s post shave balm that was given to me last Christmas.

I shaved with lightest touch I could muster and at first I couldn’t feel anything and wasn't sure the blade was doing anything. I ran my hand over the bit I had shaved (along the grain) and it was smooth. Two further passes later (sideways and against the grain) and it my face felt as smooth as a baby’s bum.

I did draw a bit of blood in the process, but nothing serious. Just a gentle reminder that the razor is to be treated with respect.

I think I need to work on my lathering and shaving technique for the foreseeable rather than muck around with kit. That said…

The thoughts and advice from the forum faithful is much appreciated

To update I bought a MÜHLE R89 with Twist for around the budget I had set, as it was reduced in price slightly and looks a little easier to change blades. This choice was based on the number of forum recommendations and positive online reviews. I also picked up 50 of the matching MÜHLE blades.

Shop at MUHLE UK for the R89 TRADITIONAL Chrome 'Twist' Closed Comb Safety Razor. PLASTIC-FREE Shaving Solution. The MUHLE Shaving Culture, made in Germany, since 1945. Purchase online today. FREE UK shipping options.
muehle-shaving.co.uk
muehle-shaving.co.uk

Popped my DE razor cherry using some Bluebeards Revenge pre shave oil and the RozoRock Santa Maria Del Fiore soap and matching splash (lovely scent but don’t last all that long) followed by Alum block and some Harry’s post shave balm that was given to me last Christmas.

I shaved with lightest touch I could muster and at first I couldn’t feel anything and wasn't sure the blade was doing anything. I ran my hand over the bit I had shaved (along the grain) and it was smooth. Two further passes later (sideways and against the grain) and it my face felt as smooth as a baby’s bum.

I did draw a bit of blood in the process, but nothing serious. Just a gentle reminder that the razor is to be treated with respect.

I think I need to work on my lathering and shaving technique for the foreseeable rather than muck around with kit. That said…

Nothing really to add other than you have a first class razor, now just give it some time to learn the razor and enjoy the shave.
Welcome to the rabbit hole.
Alice In Wonderland Whatever GIF by Disney

Hmmm - cracking price on that Edwin Jager by the way. Nacet or Feather? Russian, Chinese or Indian. Maybe buy a sample pack? Or keep an eye on BST?

Why am I getting this falling feeling

Just wanted to say, I am a weak man and this is really not helping lads
The Muhle R89 and Edwin Jagger DE89 have practically identicql heads design-wise. Some say the Muhle might have a brass thread, but that wouldn't make adifference in the shave.

Just stay with the Muhle and grok it. You can always buy a different razor a few months later for variety, if you'd feel like it at all, but this should last you a while and there's little point getting another one if you aren't getting consistently OK results with this one.
I've seen people end up going back to the R89/DE89/34C style head after owning and selling a bunch of other (often a lot more expensive) razors.

Not many will admit the truth in this statement :)
I'm tempted by the Muhle Twist

I'm a bit late to this post, I have a King C and a Wilkinson Sword butterfly I keep meaning to PIF. You could have had those.

Let me know if you want to try them.
But, you are probably better of sticking to you Muhle until you have your technique sorted.

Last edited:

muehle-shaving.co.uk
muehle-shaving.co.uk

Good choice.

Its slightly crazy sister, the R41 Twist, is the only alloy razor I've kept in my daily rotation (everything else is either bras or SS). They are both really good.

I'm tempted by the Muhle Twist

I'm a bit late to this post, I have a King C and a Wilkinson Sword butterfly I keep meaning to PIF. You could have had those.

Let me know if you want to try them.
But, you are probably better of sticking to you Muhle until you have your technique sorted.
Thanks for the offer, I think you meant this for the OP (original poster)?

I started with a Merkur 34c and can't recommend it enough. It's super smooth, very mild and forgiving.

Another way to go would be Rockwell 6c, which I think is a great strategy for a beginner, as you'll be able to find how aggressive you want to be (it has 6 backplates which allows you to tailor the aggressiveness of the shave).

Coming from a fusion, I would definitely start off mild because it can be a steep learning curve. Start with something too aggressive and the chances are you'll cut yourself to ribbons.

Also advisable to purchase a blade sample pack, as you'll find the shave very different depending on the blade that you use, even when using the same razor. It's ok to use a 'sharper' blade with a mild razor to begin with if you want, just perhaps wait until initiation to use a feather blade ;)

Back
Top Bottom