Razor - longer handle suggestions

Can someone help to answer this?

"Superspeed arrived

amazingly, its much smaller than i thought it would be. Wasnt expecting that at all.

what would be the next step up from this in terms of handle size, while still keeping the same head?"

I also wondered the same about the handle..I have to remind myself not to frip the bottom knob piece as not to loosen the head from opening..lok
give it some time you may adjust better to it..I think the "upgrade" to the handle would be a longpole Slant..IMOO..though does anyone know if Gillette made anything with a long handle?..is it a longpole handle you are curious about or a thicker handle..I find a thicker handle works a bit better for my thick medium size hands

B

The only long handled Gilllette TTO's I can think of are the Super adjustable and the Lady Gilllette.

normal_ZZZZ002.jpg

10590d1209742665-wtb-lady-gillette-dscn0639.jpg

I recently acquired one of the long handled Gillette lady superspeeds and whilst it is quite light (aluminium handle) it is a nice shave and I really like the long handle. It does share the same head as the superspeed.

Happy to send it to you to borrrow it for a while Fido (though not sure it is you asking the question).

I paid about a tenner delivered from the States but it has some plating loss, they are usually about twice that.

I don't have one to hand but the Gillette G1000 sprung to mind, last I heard Erwin still had these NOS and at a favourable price.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/One-Piece%20solid%20guard%20bar/1998%20G1000%20England%20beschriftet%20Logo.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/One-Pi ... 20Logo.jpg</a><!-- m -->

[attachment=0]

Attachments

• 1998 G1000 England beschriftet Logo.jpg
    359 bytes · Views: 109
A Sticky has a head almost identical to a later model Flairtip (i.e. shallow - like the Slim rather than the hi-dome Fatboy) but crucially it has a l-o-n-g handle.

Not cheap but worth every penny.

it was actually a question i posed to fido in PM after receiving my new superspeed. I love it, its well made, and looks great. But its a great deal smaller than I expected. Having got used to my ED DE87, which is noticeably larger, it came as a surprise.

Just wondered out of curiosity more than anything, if there were any gillettes with larger, longer chunkier handles but the same head.

shrink said:
it was actually a question i posed to fido in PM after receiving my new superspeed. I love it, its well made, and looks great. But its a great deal smaller than I expected. Having got used to my ED DE87, which is noticeably larger, it came as a surprise.

Just wondered out of curiosity more than anything, if there were any gillettes with larger, longer chunkier handles but the same head.

Hi there,

Yeah, the super speed handles are even a little shorter than a fatboy. I'm not surprised the length might have been an unexpected detail.

Far as longer razors with the same heads, the Lady Gillette is gonna be one. Looks like possibly the Knack and Slim Twist might be similar as well, although I've never used those myself. The other longer handle razors I'm familiar with are gonna shave somewhat differently than a razor with a super speed head.

Here's a pic of a few long handle types, with a fatboy in the middle for reference. From left to right we have:

Gillette Knack 1968
Gillette Slim Twist 1991 Made in England
Schick Krona
fatboy
Lady Gillette 1965
Gillette Super Adjustable 1970

Attachments

• long handle razors 002.jpg
    359 bytes · Views: 79
I know there are plenty of long handle lovers out there (I do like my Jagger) but it only needs a little adjustment in technique to manipulate a smaller handled razor that weighs less than 3 oz. Two or three fingers + thumb with the pinky in support?

Give it a good trial at least...writing instruments, cutlery we learn to adapt easily and I do find it conducive to using a razor more delicately.

It's like lifting ones pinky when having tea with the Queen...what? Where's Sir Prize when you need him?

Rev-O said:
A Sticky has a head almost identical to a later model Flairtip (i.e. shallow - like the Slim rather than the hi-dome Fatboy) but crucially it has a l-o-n-g handle.

Not cheap but worth every penny.

Hi there,

Yeah, you're right about the Sticky shaving similar to a super speed. I'd forgotten about that razor as another option. Please ask the OP to buy one for me as well, in order to save on the shipping......

Martin

i had my first go with the superspeed today... very interesting indeed. Smooth to the point of almost not being able to tell if it was cutting.

Loaded it up with a bleue, and some slight tugging on the very first few strokes, as i have about 4 days worth of stubble. Second pass, I could barely feel it working, yet it was clearly producing smooth results. I tried it with some new shaving cream today, so will have a better idea tomorrow when i try it with my current favourite cream.

Positive start though.

I had a similar feeling when I first got my Superspeed, which was also my first DE razor. The quality of pics on these forums, combined with my inexperience led me to believe it was a hefty beast, and then it dropped out of the box :eek:

That said, I really like it's compact neat size, and I find it a lot easier to use than my 39C which is at the opposite end of the size scale in my collection! I decline from choosing a favourite razor, but my Superspeed is my 'go to' razor when trying to assess any new kit. I find the 'thicker' handle of my Fatboy more useful than the 'longer' handle of the 39C.

KRF1963 said:
I recently acquired one of the long handled Gillette lady superspeeds and whilst it is quite light (aluminium handle) it is a nice shave and I really like the long handle. It does share the same head as the superspeed.

Happy to send it to you to borrrow it for a while Fido (though not sure it is you asking the question).

I paid about a tenner delivered from the States but it has some plating loss, they are usually about twice that.

Happy to extend this offer to you Shrink, I also have a slim twist (white plastic handle) if you would like to try.

Have you though about a Schick Krona which also has a longer handle but with a different head but is a good shave - also have one of these if you wish to borrow any of them.

Keith

Back
Top Bottom