Question for regular users of vintage Yardley soap

I am hoping to learn from someone who uses their vintage Yardley soap daily or at least regularly --- what are your consistent results? Some people say better soaps are available, and others say the old stuff is better than anything else. How does it compare to Penhaligons (tallow of course!), Martin de Condre, Fitjar, Harris, Trumpers, C&S, Floris, etc? (Fragrance and performance-wise.) I am hoping to get as many responses as possible. Thanks guys.

Gosh Brothers, I'm in my sixties and I can't recall the last time I saw that available for sale. Even the thought brings back the Yardley scent once more. Anyway, to your query, from what I recall it was of such a high quality that probably the two "modern" soaps currently available to my knowledge in UK which are similar in characteristics & quality may be Mitchell's Wool Fat (If your skin is okay with lanolin) and possibly Tabac. All the products you mention are goodf quality & popular over here, however I'm not so sure that they would be so much "better" than your Yardleys as "different" to it. Sorry can't assist more.

Take Care.

JohnnyO. \ :D /

Antdad, interesting that you mention Fido. On SMF I had posted about this new (old) Yardley that I got, and Fido kindly responded and indicated that even though he's recently used the Yardley, he prefers his Martin de Condre over the Yardley. I've seen his blog and the impressive list of his current soap rotation. (Hi Fido!)

The recent difficulties the Euro has been experiencing may make a difference in being willing to spend what it costs to get a pot of the MDC. That's just on my wish list for some future time. But first, I'll be placing an order with Paul at Connaught for an ample supply of some of his wonderful and fairly priced Irisch Moos products.

JohnnieO, the Yardley does smell pretty good even though it's still unopened. MWF and Tabac, eh? Your suggestion of the concept of the other products being - different - as opposed to - better - makes good sense.

You like it whilst unopened Gary ? Then trust me, you'll have a ball when you start to lather it up. It also always used to perform well in addition to that kinda top drawer scent.

JohnnyO. :geek: /

Quite a coincidence. I had lunch today with the pal who gave me an unopened 1960s Yardleys a few months ago. I do use it in my rotation but although it is a very good soap I wouldn't pay the premium price it fetches these days. On the very day I was given mine, one sold for £52 on Ebay. I'd probably spend that on two or three others. One thing I have noticed is that a slight scent of the wooden bowl seems to permeate the scent of the soap if that makes sense.

One on the bay for 10 quid buy now if anyone interested
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vintage-YARDLEY-Soap-Dish-Soap-Shaving-/350366306738?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51937591b2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vintage-YARDLEY-S ... 51937591b2</a><!-- m -->

Back
Top Bottom