Question for Neil regarding Water of Ayr hones

Neil,

I know there are different labels for TOS hones, one regular and one fine. The latter indicating use for razors and surgical instruments and with an end label "FTOS".

Do you know if such is the case with Water of Ayr?

I've seen a Water of Ayr labeled "for carpenters and joiners" and I fear it may be more like the TOS I have.

It would make some sense that, as a natural product, some could be more fine and others more coarse. Such seems to be the case with Escher hones and Thuringens in general. However I'm not knowledgeable about scotch hones, even though I've a Dalmore Blue and a TOS. I'd love to snag a Water of Ayr to complete the hat trick, but I question if one for carpenters and joiners would be the one. Thought I might get your opinion before I walk away.

Hello Hawkeye5!

The proper WOA is a finishing hone, at least equivalent to 10k.

The trouble with descriptions of old hones from this region stems from the fact that in the early days both the Tam O'Shanter and the Water of Ayr were called Water of Ayr stones.

To avoid confusion, the mine owner at the time - a Mr Kelly - paid for a nationwide advert in 1885 laying down a naming structure for hones (Tam O'Shanter, Dalmore Blue, etc) from his mine - Dalmore Quarry. Before this they were sold under the company name - The Water of Ayr Hone Works, and the company name was used for its products as is often the way. The differentiation between TOS and WOA hones stems from around this time, so earlier examples called WOA could be either TOA or WOA. Interestingly, the hone we now call WOA didn't even come from this mine - it came from another mine in Meikledale!

The fact that the one you are interested in mentions 'carpenters and joiners' leads me to think that it is in fact a TOA. It should say "For Razors, Scalpels or Very Fine Knives.'

I haven't seen different grades of WOA, but some of them do indeed look like Tams, but darker, drabber, less spotting - they aren't all a dark grey/blue colour with no speckles.

Regards,
Neil

I know very little about straight razors and imagine I will never have the time to learn. However, the postings by Neil on this forum are enough, on their own, to motivate me. You are incredible, Neil!

Back
Top Bottom