Query: "Gillette England" Date Codes

I have a couple of plastic handled Gillette England-made shavers with American style date codes; One is a black P-3, which SWMBA is using these days, & the Other a blue A-2 named Brutus (lliterary, eh?). I've looked at the B&B wikis and surfed through some threads; Mr Razor doesn't cover that far along the timeline, etc., etc., etc., & also blah-diblah-di-blah... and I found not much of anything about this stuff, out there and decided to put some questions to our TSR guru's and ol' fogies alike...

So, the questions start:

• How do the English date codes at that point compare to the US ones?
    • Is a P-3 still 3rd quarter of 1970, and the A-2 the end of the first half of 1980, when brought over to the UK?
        • Or are they something completely different? [/list:u][/list:u][/list:u]

When did the UK start using this date code even if it is the same as the USA system?
          • What models were they putting out with a modern date code?
              • ... anything other than G1000 TTO's (which were G2000 in Germany, as the German G1000 was a 3 piece, and the G3000 was a version of the Super Adjustable - I think)?[/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u]

In the words of The Jazz Butcher (& do not forget his Conspiracy):
                  • Big questions.
                    • Big questions. [/list:u][/list:u]
                      • They're bothering you
                        • & they're bothering me
                            • - they even bother people at the BBC[/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u]

Well... I have a SlimTwist here that's quite definitely made in England, was bought on the 4th of August 1976 (in Boots the Chemist in Chester if it helps) as a spare for a chap called Les... it has a date code on it of S-4 - so it would seem that they were definitely date-coding then in the 1973-76 period at least (probably because they were producing in Europe for sale in the US)

hunnymonster said:
Well... I have a SlimTwist here that's quite definitely made in England, was bought on the 4th of August 1976 (in Boots the Chemist in Chester if it helps) as a spare for a chap called Les... it has a date code on it of S-4 - so it would seem that they were definitely date-coding then in the 1973-76 period at least (probably because they were producing in Europe for sale in the US)

ooh..er, i will have a look at mine tomorrow, will be interesting

hunnymonster said:

You can tell all that from the code ? :lol:

Damian Murphy said:
hunnymonster said:

hm's real good like that!

It also tells you that the weather was overcast, what the FT 100 index and major currency exchange rates were, the wife's mood and the winner of the 3.15 at Kempton Park.

Good old Gillette: "the best (information) a man can get".

Now we just have bloody Google. Pah!

Damian Murphy said:

Haven't you seen "Time Team" where they get a fingernail sized bit of pot, do the reconstruction and it turns out to be a large shopping centre just outside Verulanium? :lol:

In reality, the original buyer wrote all of the information on the hanging card - so I'm just kind of lucky :D

Back
Top Bottom