PTFE coating?

I bought these stainless steel blades a LONG time ago and damn cheap too! (at least for me in the USA)..but I have to "palm" strop" my blades to calm down the harshness of em..I have a very coarse beard and if I dont palm strop em the pulling and tugging of the blade gets bad..though I do wonder about the Carbon Steel version is any "softer" feel
I put a call into the company that makes these and others for scientific quality..such as "extra keen" grade sharpness...but isnt PTFE coating in pots n pans?...my very coarse beard doesnt like the pulling so much....
scraping your pots n pans will lead to "black specks" in your food or whatever you make in them..I know in the states its highly banned but companies "snuck" the stuff in to its products and said it was "hardened" or "multi layered...heres the link...<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.emsdiasum.com/microscopy/products/preparation/blades.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.emsdiasum.com/microscopy/pro ... lades.aspx</a><!-- m -->

Thoughts?

Blades

I haven't checked, but I highly doubt that PTFE coatings in cookware are banned in the US, and any talk of 'sneaking it in through the back door' as hardened or multilayered sounds suspiciously like urban legend too me. For a fact, a PTFE coating cannot be disguised as a hardened coating, since PTFE is actually quite scratch-prone.

There are hardened non-stick coatings, which are based on aluminium oxide.

PTFE is harmless as such. The black speck usually derive from mechanically scratching the coating, which will eventually lead to delamination and small slivers of PTFE material dislodging from the coating. As said, these are chemically inert (although you should potentially check what the black colourant in the coating is, PTFE is white by itself), and quite harmless.

The only potential problem with PTFE is heating it to its decomposition point, at which point it will release fluoride and fluorocarbon radicals, which ARE harmful. This can only happen if you put a PTFE pot with NOTHING in it (no water, no oil, no other food) on a hot stove and leave it on there long enough to start smoking...

PTFE on cutting tools is mainly used to decrease friction between the side of the blade, and the cut material. A common problem in, e.g., meat cutting is that the cut meat will, through capillary action, suction, and other processes cling to the side of the knife blade, and thereby greatly increase cutting 'resistance' (through friction). A PTFE coating will reduce this friction. Whether a PTFE coating makes sense on razor blades (at least those actually intended for shaving) is doubtful - the surface area of the cut material (hairs) in contact with the blade appears too small to really matter...

Well I can tell you that companies in fact have renamed it not just "Teflon" coated but other names such as hardened iodized or ionizes whatever the word is milti layered coating or it has also been said to be hardened so it becomes much harder to scratch..but anyways..these are pots and pans...my question is..when the PTFE coating is on shaving blades..is there any proof or thoughts of it going into your bloodstream?..you think carbon steel shaving blades are better/harder coated as apposed to PTFE razor blade coating?..hmmm..and my quest for the holy answer goes on... :roll:

Blades

Back
Top Bottom