Psychosis

How to deal with it! I have a friend, who I have known since I was 20, and never seen this way, although she has told me that she has had 2 or 3 relatively brief psychotic episodes in her life before. Well, I'm seeing it now big time! She is definitely psychotic, although not too paranoid, which is something...... Her partner is abroad, and her son who is with him is doing the equivalent of GCSEs right now.
I have been through something similar before with a close family member, but am none the wiser. She is not suicidal, more manic if anything....one problem being that this seems to hit mainly in the early hours of the morning, when she has to suddenly burst into our bedroom and reveal the latest revelation.....another problem being that she will then decide to go out and leave the front door wide open. I can't feel safe in my bed with the front door wide open, and personally I wouldn't feel that any woman is safe wandering the streets at 3 and 4 in the morning.

My missus used to be a social worker for people with mental illness, I'll run this by her tomorrow... obviously diagnosis by proxy is never the best but she might be able to advise you on a best practice approach.

Yep, expert advice. In the short run, the best thing to do would be to convince her to voluntarily check into a mental health care hospital. There is excellent medication for manic psychosis, and the hospital would provide monitoring. After this episode passes, there is ample time for full diagnosis and a treatment plan. Most patients can be effectively treated/maintained as outpatients, with possibly occasional hospital stays.

I have a friend who used to suffer from this (he WAS suicidal at one point), but who sought treatment, and came to understand his condition; I have accompanied him once to a mental health hospital -- when he felt a psychotic attack coming up, he would usually phone friends and ask them to accompany him to the hospital where he would check in voluntarily, usually for a few days or weeks max.

I think you're wrong to post this on a general forum.
Tell your friend to call a doctor and seek professional help, don't ask unqualified people for a solution.
beejay

Seriously my duck, there are just some subjects that do not need to be discussed here. We've all got stuff that should only be shared with our nearest and dearest.

Problems with kids, problems with parents, problems with siblings, money problems, work problems, health problems.

I'm sure third parties would be thrilled to find out their personal issues are being discussed with complete strangers.

Don't check into a hospital with mental health issues, they will be branded for life, even though it may be a one of brief thing. Much better is to find a local psychotherapist; psychosis is their forte. Other than that, if they want to talk to you about anything that may be troubling them listen, but don't offer advice. Ask questions to understand how they feel, not how you would feel in whatever situation they may describe.

Obviously I and HWMOM had consulted with experts, who were of no help as she would not engage, which is common in these situations. However, to cut a long story short, she is now in ordinary hospital, and will be assessed hopefully today for her mental state, and hopefully will now get some treatment that will help.
I only posted in desperation, and in the hope that some others might know of some strategies to either calm a person in that condition, or to persuade them of the need for treatment.

NatJag said:
Don't check into a hospital with mental health issues, they will be branded for life, even though it may be a one of brief thing. Much better is to find a local psychotherapist; psychosis is their forte. Other than that, if they want to talk to you about anything that may be troubling them listen, but don't offer advice. Ask questions to understand how they feel, not how you would feel in whatever situation they may describe.

Funny you mentioned that, a while back I had a bit of a hard time and was more pissed off than depressed but I was quite down about my situation and the fact it seemed to not be progressing. I talked to my GP about it and he hinted that putting a diagnosis of any mental health issues on my record is a very bad idea, avoid it if you can was his advice. Health records are available to companies you (or your family) may have to claim insurance from in the future and any "undisclosed" conditions are grounds for them to wriggle out of paying, either that or they will jack your premiums on new policies.

Really nice to know that you can go and get help if you need it......

What the F**k (thats a first for me)

Id whole heartedly recommend this course of action. Not because it works, but because it looks a right laugh... :roll:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCUmINGae44[/youtube]

soapalchemist said:
Usually I would agree with you Audiolab, but sometimes things get so bad tht there is no choice.

Yeah, the want to avoid diagnosis often results in things getting much worse than they need to get.

Back
Top Bottom