Professor Blighty's Formula 31 Lemon

SUMMARY: Cream=10/10, Balm=9/10 and Aftershave=9/10

A couple of weeks ago I contacted Professor Blighty with regards to his Lemon shaving cream and a to ask a few questions. I wanted a balm as well as the cream and the aftershave and he offered to make the balm as he doesn't stock it! Bonus!

After a small (and I mean small!) payment and waiting for Royal Mail to get the act together my package arrived and I was shocked to see what I got.

lemon_shave002-1.jpg

Upon opening the box I was greeted by a well presented gift style box containing my products which was well worth the money. Next came the initial smell test. When I contact the Prof I specified I wanted Lemon and by that I meant strong Lemon and he delivered. The smell came to me as a strong lemon and bit like sherbet, but very natural nothing artificial, the balm is much of the same but has a spicier scent to it (yum!), the aftershave, in the bottle, only smells faintly of lemon and strongly of whatever was used to mix all the essential oils but on application the lemon came through.

Back to the cream, this is more of a soft soap than a cream and should be treated as such. At first I tried to lather it like it was CF and failed, being a typical man I threw aside the instructions but being put in my place I found them again and found it was no different to my normal routine, bonus again!

I put it through the hardest type of lathering I could think of, which for me is in a SWK scuttle, filled with HOT tap water and my Heinrich L. Thäter 26mm chubby. This stuff lathers easily, absorbs the heat from the scuttle but doesn't dissipate and any dry lather in the bowl of the scuttle (not the brush) is easily re-activated with a little bit of water and a few swirls. It also keeps its scent during lathering another bonus!

lemon_shave008.jpg
lemon_shave003.jpg

When applied to my face it was very similar to a well lathered CF and MWF, meaning it goes on thick, doesn't dry out and flake away and is very moisturising.

Next, I tested it to destruction using a Thiers-Issard straight razor rather than a DE and again top marks, the cushion and glide are top notch, with plenty protection on the face.

I followed with an Alum block to see if there was any irritation, there was none apart from my usual mistakes with the razor.

I know this is the soap section but I'll just add a little bit about the balm and aftershave. The balm is more of a liquid than a thick balm and as normal a little goes along way. I didn't follow the shave with witch hazel as I believe the Prof has loaded his stuff with it. The balm gave a small amount of burn but only lasted a couple of seconds and it was absorbed quickly leaving my face moisturised. The aftershave compliments this by removing any tackiness that would have remained and gives a double helping of goodness.

30 minutes and a dog walk later my face is showing no signs of irritation!

In summary, I love this stuff and would recommend it for everyone and for the price you won't be able to beat it. Sorry for the long review but this is my first and I believe this stuff deserves it!

Whisp

(p.s. Please ignore the reindeer towel everything is sat on, it's just there to protect the wood work!)

JohnnyO said:
That's one goodlooking head of lather Whisp ......................... And I liked the reindeer towel !

JohnnyO. :)

Cheers! I found a way to lather pretty much anything, start by making lather normally till it's at the right consistency, then squeeze all the lather out between thumb and forefinger and whip it around again. I find that with some soaps and cream you can squeeze residual water out of the bottom of the brush or lather that is too thick or not thick and using this method gives a better result and better level of consistency(for me anyway! :D )

Whisp

The Prof's F-31 range is good stuff. I've got the soap in coffee and AS in almond. The lather produced from the soap is immense :shave . I just want to reach a limit I set myself on soaps/creams so that I can purchase another :D

I swear by Martins balms and AS's. They make my skin feel fantastic!

I've got some F31 Orange to test out soon (smells out of this world!), i'll review after ive got a few shaves under its belt.

Currently I'm using Applewood Soap, its the slickest thing ever, i will review this shortly!

Great review!

Back
Top Bottom