Preview of black Mother of Pearl scales

These are a set of scales I've been working on and off for a few weeks - they are at the polished stage and will now have nickel silver pins attached prior to assembling the blade.

Beautiful colours that are hard to capture. I'll add some finished photos after the week-end.

[attachment=13803]

[attachment=13804]

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1429817920.000325.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1429817920.000325.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 102
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1429817938.701817.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1429817938.701817.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 83
Rob I have a question, because of the three section design of the Mother of pearl does that mean they will have a small amount of flex when you mount the blade and fit the wedge? also will the small gaps in between the mop sections open up slightly once they are flexed.

pugh-the-special-one said:
Rob I have a question, because of the three section design of the Mother of pearl does that mean they will have a small amount of flex when you mount the blade and fit the wedge? also will the small gaps in between the mop sections open up slightly once they are flexed.

Hi Jamie. When I made some from ordinary MOP in 3 instead of 4 pieces, they flexed OK - I think the epoxy adhesive has sufficient give - and of course the pins also help.

As these are in 4 sections it should mean less flex on each individual piece so I don't expect problems. I saw a very nice example on SRP of black MOP in two pieces, and of course the material was at one stage used in single scales - so there must be enough natural flex

These look amazing! Perhaps almost too ornate for me. I'd be scared to get the wet (which I hate doing even with micarta- I'm odd like that).

Top skills!!.

Martin.

Martin.H said:
These look amazing! Perhaps almost too ornate for me. I'd be scared to get the wet (which I hate doing even with micarta- I'm odd like that).

Top skills!!.

Martin.

The nice thing about MOP is that it's used to being wet.:icon_razz:

The other point that I didn't mention yet is that the MOP is attached to a very thin layer of black G10 material - this stuff is indestuctible no matter what temperature or conditions, it will not warp or degrade. Well at least not in a normal bathroom.

MikeB said:
Those are really beautiful, Rob. It looks like they took a lot of work, but boy did it pay off.

The amazing thing is that both those photos are taken at the same time i.e. no additional polishing. The first angle looks very flat, but then when the light hits from a different angle, all the depth is visible.

Back
Top Bottom