Pretty container for creams

p.b

I only use creams (Blue Beards Revenge; TOBS; T&H; Fitjar & Castle Forbes so far) and only have one on the go at anytime (plus a travel tube.) All the creams have been great with the exception of the packing. My shaving kit sits on display on a glass shelf next to the sink and I would really like to buy a cream that comes in a a "classy" glass jar and once used I can decant any further creams that are supplied in a plastic jar into the glass one.

I think the Aqua di Palma looks a bit 70s (smoked glass and chrome!) and as our bathroom is faux Victoriana it would look just as out of place. MWF would look really nice, but as the ceramic container is designed for saop I assume it doesn't seal and so wouldn't be suitable.

Any ideas? Cheers, Paul

Thanks. Just found out it's a glass jar with a silver plated lid! For some reason I thought it was plastic. Probably the lid is plastic silver-plated but it fits the bill.

cheers, Paul

All I can offer is don't buy a cheap and cheerful wooden shaving soap bowl off ebay. I did, thinking, how bad can it be, it looks the part but bleeds orange into whatever's in it despite copious soaks and washes. Not one of my better purchases ;)

Just don't drop it in the sink as the sink as its a heavy glass jar! Lid is indeed silver plate and tarnishes annoyingly quickly.

I'm always on the lookout for other nice jars to decant my creams into as well though.

THIS has been on ebay for ages but its a little pricey!

patl said:
All I can offer is don't buy a cheap and cheerful wooden shaving soap bowl off ebay. I did, thinking, how bad can it be, it looks the part but bleeds orange into whatever's in it despite copious soaks and washes. Not one of my better purchases ;)

Thanks. that's why I was after glass.

barlines said:
Just don't drop it in the sink as the sink as its a heavy glass jar! Lid is indeed silver plate and tarnishes annoyingly quickly.

I'm always on the lookout for other nice jars to decant my creams into as well though.

THIS has been on ebay for ages but its a little pricey!

:icon_eek: That is a bit on the steep side!

You're right about the dropping bit. I'll just have to keep my missus away from it - she's the clumsy one. She dropped a glass perfume jar on the old sink and actually made a hole in it and has also dropped 3 saucepans on the kitchen tiles and chipped them :mad:

Forgot to say - the lid on the penhaligons jar has some weight to it and is cold to the touch. Definitely feels like metal rather than plastic under that silver plate.

Given that you use only one cream at a time, do you really need a screw top jar? If not then it must open up a load of possibilities in terms of glass jars with glass tops.

Just a thought.

Thanks for the heads up on the Penhaligons Blenheim Bouquet jar. It is really nice and I had considered getting one, but there's more to life than polishing, even if it is shave kit.

I use these to store soaps, the lids screw on so they might be appropriate. The lids are clear and I've cut the soap packets to sit inside the lid.

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/80102919/

Just think how much quicker that divorce could happen if you were sat crosslegged on the living room floor with a bottle of siiver polish buffing up the lid from your shaving cream jar when the missus comes in.

I've got several of the ikea Gruntal containers and they are great, very functional. Three of mine are stuck to the side of the bathroom cabinet with soaps in :icon_cheesygrin: ). As they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Rob has a point - If you use one cream at a time does a close seal make as much of a difference? THe MWF container is a lovely tactile thing to have. Alternatively, lost weekends poking around antique shops await you but you could make out that this is your punishment for 'buffing your lid' :icon_redface:

Here is a pretty cheap but effective option from Naturally Thinking.

You can buy aluminium lids to fit here.

The glass looks much better in the flesh and has that very light green, polished tint. The aluminium lids don't look all that industrial and just have a plain, traditonal metal appearance. Add some of the blue, amber or glass dropper bottles that they stock and you really start to get a Victorian pharmaceutical look. Then there are the 'poison' or 'Not to be Taken' apothecary or chemist bottles available on ebay for little money. Pop the right size of cork, also available on the 'bay, and you lend a real air of authenticity to your period bathing room.

barlines said:
Just think how much quicker that divorce could happen if you were sat crosslegged on the living room floor with a bottle of siiver polish buffing up the lid from your shaving cream jar when the missus comes in.

lol, She'd think her luck was in...

UKRob said:
Given that you use only one cream at a time, do you really need a screw top jar? If not then it must open up a load of possibilities in terms of glass jars with glass tops.

Just a thought.

barlines said:
...The MWF container is a lovely tactile thing to have. Alternatively, lost weekends poking around antique shops await you but you could make out that this is your punishment for 'buffing your lid' :icon_redface:

That's a good question. The last Fitjar lasted me about four months and this Castle Forbes looks like it will last a bit longer.

Does anyone know if the cream would dry out over this time span?

Antique shops are my version of hell so I'd rather stick to the MWF :icon_cheesygrin:

Gairdner said:
Here is a pretty cheap but effective option from Naturally Thinking.

You can buy aluminium lids to fit here.

wow - that's a great website, and it's all cheap enough to take a punt on, dropper bottles etc included. Thanks for the link. Paul

barlines said:
Forgot to say - the lid on the penhaligons jar has some weight to it and is cold to the touch. Definitely feels like metal rather than plastic under that silver plate.

Cool. thanks for the info. Paul

You could buy St James of London Clearwood and Clarysage shaving cream which comes in a jar, then reuse the jar.

I reuse an Edwin Jagger Sea Buckthorn shaving cream tub. Not as pretty as a jar though.

Maybe you could design your own style of label and stick that on a jar.

Back
Top Bottom