Predictions for "must say" word for 2016

I've never heard anyone, ever in the States use the word, "burglarized". Sounds like an additive.

I think it only exists in TV dramas (no longer only American) and, from memory, in one of the Bush presidents speeches.

Despite, or perhaps because of it being a bastardisation of "burgled" , I find it interest that "burglarized" is one of those rare words where seeing the substitution of a "S" for a "Z" feels comfortable (don't talk to me about dropped ewes).

Back on topic, I read the re-emergence of "interesting" and "good to know" as closed answers within my own regular vocabulary.

'Process' is a word the Yanks like to slap on everything, but in most cases it's redundant. Another Americanism that drives me crazy is pronouncing the word 'primer' as 'primmer'. Also, referring to English as spoken and written in England as British English is ludicrous; it's English and all other forms thereof are derivatives; thus it's quite acceptable to refer to Canadian English, American English, Australian English, etc.

I agree about process and British English, which is about as silly as French bread in France.
They don't say primmer in my neck of the American woods. That would irritate me as well.

Hearing an awful lot of " to be fair " on radio interviews now though it seldom seems to have any particular context. Just a filler phrase, similar to " you know " as far as I can tell.

JohnnyO. o/

Back
Top Bottom