Pre shave preparation

Sounds like mine this morning.

Hot water and a peaceful patient mind makes my shave loads better.

Indeed there s nothing like shaving when you are chilled out, be it from a bath or just that it is a "nothing to do" day my shaves are always of the highest quality when relaxed.

I am working my way through a 200ml bottle of GFT Skin Food.

I read from someone who had a Trumper's shave that they used this stuff as a pre-shave, in between passes and of course post shave. If is good enough for Geo F, then it's good enough for me.

I think that the difference it makes to the shave is slight. But it's a luxury that I like to afford myself.

just plenty of hot water and a facecloth. I spend about 5 minutes softening the bristles then lather. I don't use any pre shave oil since I found that using it under a shaving soap made no difference whatsoever to razor glide. Just make sure your beard is softened thoroughly.

I always use a pre-shave oil, but only because I have very dry skin on my face, and the oil certainly helps. If you have normal or oily skin, I can't really see the point of the oil as a prep.

Throw me in with the lot that uses the Proraso pre/post every time.

Those of you fancying buying oils; if you could turn off your nose for a 'blind' taste test, I'll bet a 60/40 castor/grapeseed oil mix would give as excellent a result as any oil, and you could spend very little once and provide for the whole neighborhood for years. A few drops of some essence with a pleasing scent (I'll vote for oil from a grapefruit, cheap here in FL) thrown in will greatly improve the nose of the stuff.

Starting off with a clean, hot, and wet face is miles more important than any other beard prep...I don't have that kind of time, but try one of those face steamer things once and be amazed.

I use the Proraso pre/post shave stuff as well.

I first used the normal jar, but found that was a bit too much for me and then moved onto the sensitive skin jar. I apply it to my skin after having had a shower just before I start to lather the brush up.

I am not overly sure how much effect it has (I should really do a trial for a week without it to see what the difference is), maybe it is partly psychological as it is so ingrained into my shaving routine, but it seems to help me have a decent shave.

I've settled into a routine of using a face cloth that's been soaked in hot water in the sink, soaking my brush at the same time. Followed either by some of Messrs Truefitt and Hill's pre-shave oil or, more usually these days, an application of a thin, watery lather. This is then left on my visage while making the lather proper, applied using circular scrubbing motions with the brush, followed by painting.

After the first pass I wet my hands and give my face a quick massage, squeeze the brush to release the sumptuous, dense lather within for the second pass.

Works for me.

Regards

Ian

I've had a jar of the pre/post prorase menthol for a while ,I'd not been too bothered about it.
This thread prompted me to give it another go.Mixed it with water and applied pre-shave,
very nice menthol hit. Shave was very nice ,smooth and close , no hint of irritation (don't usually get much anyway)
but my skin felt very smooth after. I'm going to use this for the next while and see if it becomes a regular.

I too use the proraso after a hot soak, and give my face a good massage at the same time. This is left on while i whip up my lather, which is then applied over the top.
Works for me.