Pre shave preparation

We all agree that before shaving it is essential to do some preparation before applying the lather we shave with.

But what preparation is really needed?

I have tried or experienced several pre shave routines:

Hot shower before shaving.

Hot wet towel or flannel.

Pre shave products - simple home made oil mixture, pre shave oil, hot face mask - and there are plenty of others.

Lather/hot towel/rinsing before application of the lather used for the first pass.

And then applying lather can be done quickly or at length, using painting or circular movements or both.

At minimum, we can simply wash the face with hot water and soap, rinse, then quickly apply lather.

Having tried several approaches, I have found little difference between them as far as the end result is concerned. Certainly nothing that justifies the time and expense that can be involved. So in my opinion, a thorough wash with soap and hot water and a good rinse is all that is really needed.

But! As with all things for shaving aficionados, it is not about need and efficiency and cost justification. It is about enjoying a bit of personal pampering, indulgence and fun.

So I will continue to use up my pre shave oils, hot mask treatment, get out the hot towel and generally indulge myself, when I have the time. But if like yesterday, I need to be off in a hurry, its a quick wash, face lathering, a couple of passes and I'm off. With a nice smooth and comfortable skin.

Other opinions?

In my, limited, experience, shaving after a hot shower constitutes the best preparation that I know of. Now, a prep with hot wet towels sound equally as good, but too much fuss for my liking, and I usually shower in the morning and shave in the evening, so I do have a logistical problem there. Taking a shower JUST as a shave prep seems a bit over the top to me. So I usually just wet my face with hot water prior to whipping up a bowl of shaving soap. Lately I've started to begin my routine by making a really thin wet lather, face-lathering style, to soak the hairs while I prep my regular bowl of lather, then put the 'real' lather for my first pass right on top of that. Not as good as a shower, but it works. Well enough not to bother looking to other prep routines anymore.

After that, a 3 pass shave plus touch-ups, rinse, alum block, dry with towel, and A/S balm; until recently Nivea Sensitive, but this week I made my first batch of homemade A/S balm. Still a bit thickish, but the feel is excellent. Now to find/create a really first class scent for it. The current batch has a mix of tea tree oil and an Old Spice dupe.

Henk

If I don't shower, I thoroughly rinse my face with warm water, wash it with soap, thoroughly rinse it and then lather up.

I used Trumpers Skin Food as a pre-shave on a couple of occasions, but found that it made little to no difference.

Ian

IanM said:
I used Trumpers Skin Food as a pre-shave on a couple of occasions, but found that it made little to no difference.

I nearly added that word for word at the bottom of my post.

I've been using Proraso pre- and post-shave cream as a pre-shave (the one in a big green tub from Connaught). Got Eucalyptus oil in it, so makes your eyes water and clears your nose. Not sure if it makes much of a difference to the shave, but it's a nice tingly feeling on my face.

99% of the time I have a shower then a further hot rinse before applying the lather to my face and shaving, this is made easier because I mostly shave in the morning. When I am not shaving in the morning I use some Proraso pre/post at least 10 mins before shaving and have again have a hot rinse before applying lather, that works well and is the only product I still use as a pre shave.

I do like the hot towel treatment and use this more often when on holiday, usually because I have plenty of time and there are small towels at hand, but I also use the hot towels from time to time at home.

Overall in my experience I have not found the best prep is a shower, followed by Proraso, I find the oils gunk up the razor when shaving but Proraso doesn’t (perhaps I haven’t tried the right oil yet). Like Fido I am not 100% convinced but they do feel nice and for that reason I will still use them when I have the time.

I do seem to get better shaves after I have showered, but generally I shower in morning, shave in evening like others have mentioned.

I find a quick wash with hot water, and some proraso pre/post to be just as good.

Its all down to the amount of time I have really. I will also use hot towels if I have time, but dont think it adds a great deal to the actual shave.

joe mcclaine said:
Warm water.

Anything else is a faff.

Sorry Chaps - bit late on this one - not being one for orgiastic prep. I have not read this thread until now.
Essentially I am with Vinny on this one - warm water splash, and then face-lather until I think my arm is about to drop off - and that's my prep!
Not that I have anything against "faff" - given time, money and inclination I am sure it makes a pleasant addition to the shaving experience - its just not for me.

I shave after I shower almost all of the time too.

In the shower prep = wash face with soap then rinse and apply OCM brew. This is left on while i fish soaping up.... Then rinse off the OCM and apply a hot flannel for +/-30secs. Leave the shower & dry off. NB: whatever brush I use, it is soaking in hot water while i shower.

Splash my face with warm/hot water;

Shave Sticks; I apply it to my beard, drain my brush & face lather
Shave Soaps; Load the brush with product; face lather
Shave Cream; Put a dab of cream into the brush and face lather.

On the odd occasion when I shave in the evening, I repeat the above. I am not sure if the OCM should be treated as Pre Shave Prep. It is a cleaning method & is fully rinsed off with running water & a flannel. I suppose the massage & rinsing are Pre shave prep.....

I can hardly remember the last time i shaved without showering. It would have most probably been face wash, rinse, lather and get after it.

I disagree that its a faff, I mean it takes me about 5 seconds to smear a dollop of proraso pre on my chops so if you call that faffing then what would you describe a straight shave :lol: .I wouldn't say it improves the quality of the shave much either but I do like it.I normally put it on in the shower after washing my face then lather onto it when I get out.I do find it helps if I haven't showered and need to shave some heavier growth.

A faff to me is any additional step that doesn't add anything to the overall result.

Splash face with water.
Dip brush in water.
Swirl brush on soap.
Swirl brush on face.
Shave (ONE pass).
Rinse face.

Not rocket-surgery or the Tea Ceremony. Just scraping unwanted hair and dead skin cells off my face.

joe mcclaine said:
A faff to me is any additional step that doesn't add anything to the overall result.

Splash face with water.
Dip brush in water.
Swirl brush on soap.
Swirl brush on face.
Shave (ONE pass).
Rinse face.

Not rocket-surgery or the Tea Ceremony. Just scraping unwanted hair and dead skin cells off my face.

Yeah, that - except a repeat of steps 4 & 5 :)

Hot water's the important thing for me too. Best of all is a soak in the tub with a glass of something and a comic (New Statesman usually), missing no opportunity to get my face wet. Shaving after that is virtually silent, the bristles are so soft. My usual method though is identical to HM's.

Andy with you all the way
Being off over the holidays, I treated myself to a long soak in the bath, Pink Floyd on, it began to get hypnotic. I had a flannel in the bath and kept soaking it and laying it across my fizzer. Brand new Gillette Thai blade, Tabac soap. The resultant shave was as Andy described, silent. Afterwards, prior to going out, I had a quick shower, not too hot. My shave felt even better. If I had the time, this would be my routine. Hedonistic luxury.
As we say up here "You're a long while deid"

Back
Top Bottom