Powderfinger

On Monday evening my son and I were amongst the adoring hoards at Newcastle Arena to watch Neil Young & Crazy Horse. I've waited over 40 years to see this guy, live on stage, who I consider a musical genius.

Los Lobos were supporting and were surprisingly decent, they offer a lot more than La Bamba.

For those there who had always considered NY as a hippy troubador - think Harvest - this would have come as a major jolt; the 'godfather of grunge' was at his grungiest best. Screaming solos and feedback were the order of the night (a tad too much feedback to be honest). A neat little 3 song acoustic spot midway was sensational. Even Mr Soul from his Buffalo Springfield days in 1967 got an airing

His first gig in Newcastle since 1973 and given his age (67) probably his last.

Not a perfect show but not far from it, 9/10.

Keep on rockin' in the free world!

Set List
Love and Only Love (classic)
Powderfinger (classic)
Psychedelic Pill (new)
Walk Like a Giant (new)
Hole in the Sky (unreleased)

Acoustic Spot
Comes a Time (classic)
Blowin' in the Wind (cover)
Singer Without a Song (unreleased)

Ramada Inn (new)
Cinnamon Girl (classic)
Fu***n' Up (classic)
Surfer Joe and Moe the Sleaze (classic)
Mr. Soul (classic)
Hey Hey, My My (classic)

Encore
Keep On Rockin' in the Free World (classic)

If he's playing with Crazy Horse, then you know it's not going to be his acoustic material.

I like Neil Young. Technically he's not a great singer or musician, but I quite like his attitude and his writing and always find him easy to listen to when I'm in a "I need to hear simple music" mood.

Glad you enjoyed it.

Ian

I'm just listening to Powderfinger on Spotify as the thread title rang a bell with me.

I realised the version that I know is by the Cowboy Junkies off the brilliant Caution Horses album. Well worth checking it out as they were at their best in their early days.

Back
Top Bottom