Post shave - alum, moisturiser, aftershave??

Hi Guys,

Getting a bit confused about all the aftershave stuff on here. my usual routine is whatever moisturiser I can find (body, my GF's face stuff, or specific aftershave moisturiser).

What is alum, what does it do? - I've had a look on Wiki but I still don't understand the point of it.

Why do people use Aftershave Lotion and Aftershave Balm, aren't they both just moisturisers?

Why do people use aftershave? Surely it just dries out your face. Moisturiser is the way to go

I'd really appareciate view, also a introductory sticky would be awesome :)

An Alum Block is a crystal-like stone that is moistened with cold water and gently rubbed over the entire face to act as an antiseptic for razor burn. It can also help to stop bleeding of nicks and cuts. The Alum block also has antiseptic properties that not only cool and refresh the skin after shaving, but also act as a balm. Simply wet the block, apply to face, and then dry with towel.

Other responses will follow!

All you need after your shave is a decent moisturiser.

But to hell with need!

What most men enjoy is something that makes their skin feel good and smells nice. So we have a variety of lotions and balms. Some say you should avoid alcohol based products because they may irritate rather than soothe. Most after shaves are intended to soothe and relieve soreness.Some do the job better than others.

Now more learned colleagues will chip in.

No, he doesn't mean me either. Every now and then, for no reason I can fathom out, I go through a dry skin phase and have to use some sort of moisturiser, but in the usual run of things the best post shave treatment for my face is a thorough cold water rinse. The only reason I bother with an after shave splash is because I like the smell and the sting. I've just passed on my alum block to someone who'll appreciate it: it doesn't like me at all.

Alum - tightens your pores leaving the face feeling nice and smooth. It will sooth any irritation and help to stop bleeding (you will feel a temporary sting at this point).

However, I find it too drying and it leaves my skin flaky. I tried applying the alum then waiting a minute and then washing off with cold water but had the same negative effects. But they work great as an underarm deodorant!

Aftershave - you have to experiment. Get some samples. If you find it too drying then try adding a few drops to an aftershave balm. It will leave your face calmed and tighten the pores. If possible try using an AS + ASB from the same range to enhance the scent.

A moisturiser may not always contain ingredients to soothe just-shaven skin. But I still use one from time to time!

To confuse you even further, try using the toners by Thayer's. I spray that on my face after a cold splash and it has now replaced by alum block. I wouldn't say it is necessary to use but is a nice addition.

I have quite an oily skin and don't find alum drying at all. I rinse with cold water then rub a wetted alum block over my face then pat dry before I apply any balm or aftershave. I find it soothing and smoothing.

And the word routine is your confusion my friend. To me there is no fixed routine, sure there are things that I do every shave like face preparation but the Alum, Mousturise, Balm and Aftershave conundrum you are having is normal. I have a plethora of products to suit different conditions and I adapt my post shave care to suit.

For instance some days I feel after shaving my skin is a touch dry, I find this with soaps like Proraso so I use a light moisturiser. Other days I may find I was a bit over zealous with the blade, in this instances I will use something calming like a cool calming balm. In the winter I like more oily products to protect my skin from the bitter wind but in summer I like lighter fresh products so I find I tend to have a set of summer soaps and scent and more aftershaves and a winter set which are the deeper scents more colognes and richer thicker soaps. I do use Alum with every shave, toners like Witch Hazel and Rose water, moisturisers, balms etc I use as required and desired.

Alum is an astringent, they say it closes the pores but I feel it just tightens the skin up, after all the hot water and soap it is a nice way to finish a shave and it lets me know where I have been over eager with the blade, yes it stings but I kind of like that bracing effect. Some use it some don't so you need to try it to see if it works for you. Do a search and you will endless discussion on this and other forums if you are interested in the actual reaction going on and why it works.

Some will tend to stick to a routine or product set that they like and that is fine to, there really aren't that many rights and wrongs here. It all depends on the skin you have and how much time you have to prep before the shave. The main piece of advice I would give you (if you want it) is that the prep is far more important than any after shave product. They are just all making up for what damage the shave has done to your face, be it drying from the soap or burn from the blade. Prevention is far better then cure but do have a few cures that you know work for you and then use as needed, use what works for you and enjoy.

Audiolab said:
And the word routine is your confusion my friend. To me there is no fixed routine, sure there are things that I do every shave like face preparation but the Alum, Mousturise, Balm and Aftershave conundrum you are having is normal. I have a plethora of products to suit different conditions and I adapt my post shave care to suit.

For instance some days I feel after shaving my skin is a touch dry, I find this with soaps like Proraso so I use a light moisturiser. Other days I may find I was a bit over zealous with the blade, in this instances I will use something calming like a cool calming balm. In the winter I like more oily products to protect my skin from the bitter wind but in summer I like lighter fresh products so I find I tend to have a set of summer soaps and scent and more aftershaves and a winter set which are the deeper scents more colognes and richer thicker soaps. I do use Alum with every shave, toners like Witch Hazel and Rose water, moisturisers, balms etc I use as required and desired.

Alum is an astringent, they say it closes the pores but I feel it just tightens the skin up, after all the hot water and soap it is a nice way to finish a shave and it lets me know where I have been over eager with the blade, yes it stings but I kind of like that bracing effect. Some use it some don't so you need to try it to see if it works for you. Do a search and you will endless discussion on this and other forums if you are interested in the actual reaction going on and why it works.

Some will tend to stick to a routine or product set that they like and that is fine to, there really aren't that many rights and wrongs here. It all depends on the skin you have and how much time you have to prep before the shave. The main piece of advice I would give you (if you want it) is that the prep is far more important than any after shave product. They are just all making up for what damage the shave has done to your face, be it drying from the soap or burn from the blade. Prevention is far better then cure but do have a few cures that you know work for you and then use as needed, use what works for you and enjoy.

+1 Well put (Oops sound like a bloody teacher) my sentiments exactly Audi.

If you find aftershave splashes irritate you id steer clear of the alum.

rossyl said:
Why do people use Aftershave Lotion and Aftershave Balm, aren't they both just moisturisers?

Why do people use aftershave? Surely it just dries out your face. Moisturiser is the way to go

I'm new so don't take this as the final word, but I think that the term 'Aftershave Lotion' is often used to refer to alcohol-based aftershave splashes, which I agree is confusing - I would have thought a lotion would be a moisturising cream. Certainly the Tabac alcoholic splash is marketed as a 'lotion' and I think that applies to others too. To avoid confusion it's probably best to refer to these alcohol-based thin liquids as splashes, while the moisturising cream is a 'balm' or ASB (aftershave balm).

Don't dismiss the aftershave splashes - they definitely can have good properties and be nice to use. Personally I wouldn't have used anything with alcohol on my face before I started DE shaving as my skin was normally irritated and needed a moisturiser for heavy-duty soothing - now I can often get away with a splash or some witch hazel instead of the moisturising balm. It's probably fair to say that the drier your skin is, the more likely you'll want to use a balm as opposed to a splash. A lot of men might like to use a balm in winter and a splash in summer.

I use a balm, which acts like a moisturiser and certainly quells the irritation and any redness whilst also stopping dryness. I haven't got an alum block yet, but will pick one up next time I need some spices from the indian supermarket as they have the cheap ones. If I like it then I may buy a poncy solid crystal one. Expensive for what it is but so far nobody has a bad thing to say about their effects and they last a loooong time so it works out cheaper in the long term than premium balms and suchlike. It'll be interesting to see if my skin still needs the balm after using alum.

RB73 said:
If you find aftershave splashes irritate you id steer clear of the alum.

I personally would saythat it depends on what it is in the AS/B that irritates you. The alum is a simple, plain salt as opposed to a mix of different ingredients, which might not irritate individually, but when combined can aggravate the skin. I personally really enjoy the alum but many AS Lotions* (splashes and balms), especially the fancier, perfumed ones inflame the tender post-shaved skin (as well as they exacerbate or can cause my headaches); simple ones with essential oils bother me much less so.

• ... but hey, I'm new here, and I mostly 'cold water' shave.
    ... and I'm an evening shaver, not a morning one.
    ... and I still have a fairly f u l l beard (for only a wee while longer, most likely).[/list:u]

*defined as: Any of various cosmetic preparations that are applied to the skin

I´m no expert, but I can give you mine routine; I usually rinse with cold water and then put on Proraso and then AS splash. I really love the AS balms and have some high end ones, by now vintage :D , but they give me problems :eek: . My skin gets too fat, my theory anyway, and then irritated. Sometimes I use them anyway becuase I love them, but rarely nowadays.

Back
Top Bottom