Pomade

There are two routes to go down.

1) Oil based
2) Water based

You'll find the likes of Dax in Tesco and Superdrug. Water based is a bit harder to find but you may see your local barber stocking some. My local barber stocks Layrite, but is pricey.

If you don't mind the washing out drama of an oil based, then for £3 in Tesco, you can't go far wrong with a pot of Dax red (Wave & Groom). Great hold, but some don't like how it applies as it can be quite....sticky and cause tugging on the comb. Superdrug sell Dax blue (Short & Neat) which is a lot easier to apply, but less hold and more shine :) Shaving Shack sell their own BlueBeards waterbased pomade and it is nice. Lovely smell and easy to use.

Here's a good site to buy online for pomades - http://pomadeclub.com/

Gentlemen, Antler Hair Company is my business. Just thought I would introduce myself here so members could make contact with me if they wish. I am pleased to say we have been getting great reviews from early testers and initial orders. Here's a link to Rob out in the US who reviewed an AHC tester pomade last week....

Any questions, ask away chaps!

Ive just actually made my own batch of pomade/hair wax just now!

Never done it before but I have acouple of spare small tins if anyone wants to try it with me.

It is lime scented (EO) made with bees wax, shea butter, caster oil and lime EO

Gentlemen, Antler Hair Company is my business. Just thought I would introduce myself here so members could make contact with me if they wish. I am pleased to say we have been getting great reviews from early testers and initial orders. Here's a link to Rob out in the US who reviewed an AHC tester pomade last week....

Any questions, ask away chaps!
Hi Ben, what oils do you use in your Pomade? Some oils can be detrimental to hair and the scalp depending on the person and scalp condition.

Hi Nishy, all my oils have MSDS certification :

Castor Oil
Jojoba Oil
Coconut Oil

All other ingredients in my recipe carry MSDS certification also. I have not heard of anyone encountering any issues with the above oils. However, as with anything, everyone is different so if they believe they may have a reaction to anything in my product then I advise them not to use the product. The above oils are extremely common in many pomades.

Thanks Nick, I will message you back.

Hi Nishy, all my oils have MSDS certification :

Castor Oil
Jojoba Oil
Coconut Oil

All other ingredients in my recipe carry MSDS certification also. I have not heard of anyone encountering any issues with the above oils. However, as with anything, everyone is different so if they believe they may have a reaction to anything in my product then I advise them not to use the product. The above oils are extremely common in many pomades.

Thanks Nick, I will message you back.
Sounds good Ben, will order some shortly :)

Murray's superior pomade: very good, similar to red DAX. Murray's Super Light again very good and similar to Blue DAX. I usually apply heavy pomade for hold and apply light pomade on top for the shine. If you have naturally straight and thin hair, Black and White or another Medium hold pomade would do, including Medium Cock Grease and Green Reuzel.
I wouldn't bother with water based pomades because they are pretty much same as an ordinary hair gel.

Can they be reworked or restyled after applied? Biggest reason to stop wearing wax in my hair was I ride a motorcycle and the helmet would more often mess up the messed look a little too much making me look like a vagrant.

It would be good to be able to scruff and restyle when i get to work as the Dax stuff would be set too firm when applied earlier in the day.​

Can they be reworked or restyled after applied? Biggest reason to stop wearing wax in my hair was I ride a motorcycle and the helmet would more often mess up the messed look a little too much making me look like a vagrant.

It would be good to be able to scruff and restyle when i get to work as the Dax stuff would be set too firm when applied earlier in the day.​
If you use pomade and after wearing hat or helmet, you can easily rework it with a little bit of water.

Back
Top Bottom