Polishing Micarta Scales

Does any of the razor restoration people have any tips for polishing Micarta? I've just finished my first pair of scales but in sanding them down, I've taken off the lustre so is it possible to use some kind of buffing compound or do I need to apply a finishing coat?

Any advice gladly accepted.

[I would keep going up the grits, maybe even going as high as the micro mesh stuff to bring them up nice what grit did you go too ]

I went up to 2000 wet and dry - I will give them another go and try your suggestion about micro mesh. Thanks[/quote]

Hi Rob I have been a custom knife collector for many years, and have owned many knives with micarta handles, and if im honest i'm not sure you can put a high polished finish on micarta looking at the material and it's construction, it was purely used more for it's super grip affect rather than it looks, if you know what I mean, it as been used to make razor scales, but i think they are going more towards the other knife material G10, and this also applies in the knife industry G10 seems a better option, not to sure how good that would even polish to be honest. But if it were mine I would try the tested methods of up the grits, and finish of with a buffing solution, or maytbe some metal polish. good luck.

Jamie.

Back
Top Bottom