Plisson

Why are Plisson so expensive? Does the quality of the badger hair or density differ so much from from the major UK names? Or is the quality of the material used to make the handles better? I don't particularly wish to buy one to find out at present!

fozz77 said:
I read on another forum that Plisson use european badger hair.

That should not be possible, an is in any way illegal -- currently even if the hair originates from (subspecies from) european badgers (Meles meles) harvested in countries were it isn't protected (read: from China, which has a sizeable population of M. meles in the northwestern part of the country).

Er, that would be slightly more complicated. I'm not sure about UK wildlife protection law, but I guess it is similar to Dutch wildlife law. Over here, harvesting road kill would be illegal, certainly for any species that is protected under wildlife protection law, and probably for 'outlawed' wildlife (i.e. wildlife that can be hunted/shot/stalked) also. Now it is possible to get road kill released, but that will take some red tape and stamina. Once you obtain legal possession of road kill through a release, you may do with it as you please, so you could make your own shaving brush from a road kill badger -- but you would certainly not be allowed to sell it (commercially).

Henk

henkverhaar said:
fozz77 said:
I read on another forum that Plisson use european badger hair.

That should not be possible, an is in any way illegal -- currently even if the hair originates from (subspecies from) european badgers (Meles meles) harvested in countries were it isn't protected (read: from China, which has a sizeable population of M. meles in the northwestern part of the country).

They are proud to claim european on their site. <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.rasageplisson.com/epages/161058.sf/en_US/?ObjectPath=/Shops/161058/Categories/Blaireaux/Blaireaux_PLISSON" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.rasageplisson.com/epages/161 ... ux_PLISSON</a><!-- m -->

Yes, saw that earlier, but note that they explicitly refrain from saying 'European badger'. My guess is that they just use it as a grade name rather than as a source indication, while hoping that people read more into it than they claim. Otherwise, they'd be practically begging for criminal prosecution.

Plus I can't even believe that they would be able to secure a supply of European badger hair to provide enough hair for the number of brushes they make, even if they wanted to.

I have often wondered why Plisson are so expensive, I don’t know if I will every buy one. Perhaps if it came up at a bargain but some of them seem just so excessive in cost.

I guess it is like everything, cameras, cars, Hi-Fi etc, there is always a range for those with very deep pockets.

Audiolab said:
I have often wondered why Plisson are so expensive, I don’t know if I will every buy one. Perhaps if it came up at a bargain but some of them seem just so excessive in cost.

I guess it is like everything, cameras, cars, Hi-Fi etc, there is always a range for those with very deep pockets.

Just console yourself with the observation that a Plisson, while extravagant, is 'affordable' for mere mortals, whereas a Bugatti Veyron, equally extravagant, is not...

Plus a Koenigsegg is faster anyway ;-)

henkverhaar said:
Audiolab said:

Just console yourself with the observation that a Plisson, while extravagant, is 'affordable' for mere mortals, whereas a Bugatti Veyron, equally extravagant, is not...

What do the dutch make of Clarkson and Co Henk?

antdad said:
henkverhaar said:
Audiolab said:

What do the dutch make of Clarkson and Co Henk?

Dunno about THE Dutch, but my son and I love them. Just the right mixture of passion for cars (which I do not really share - although I can appreciate the technical aspects of performance cars, as well as the looks of a car, for me, a car really is nothing more than a utility product, that should provide the means of transporting oneself and assorted animate and inanimate objects from point A to point B in an acceptable manner), irony, and not-taking-themselves-too-seriously. I would say.

Audiolab said:
Very true Henk, it is within the grasp of most, even if it requires a little saving up.

I would buy an Aston Martin myself.

Well, that would be a lot cheaper than the Veyron of course, and the current crop of Astons has a lot going for them, not least looks, but as far as I understand they still suffer from QC issues -- luckily not nearly as much as the infamous TVR though. Personally, although I really do like the Aston Martin, given unlimited funds, I would probably opt for the Bentley Continental...

The collection is growing rapidly. Thought I'd post this pic. This is one of the cheaper Plissons. A 22mm knot pure badger at around £68 - a lot for such a brush. It looks good and feels good, rather floppy so it will be lather in a bowl and painting when I get round to using it. If I do!

Plisson.jpg

Back
Top Bottom