Plisson synthetic brushes. Great or overpriced?

J23

I’m currently looking to buy a new synthetic brush in the 20-22 range that will replace my old Mühle as a ‘daily driver’.

I’ve always been very happy with the Mühle Quality but I would like to try something else now.

Plisson caught my eye but I have no experience with the brand. Can anyone tell me something about the Plisson quality? Is it good? I’m looking to spend about 90 GBP max. I’m also open for other suggestions. Thanks!

Yeah, they're all I use these days... Been that way for 18+ months now.

The splay and flow through they exhibit is second to none, as close as you'll get to a natural brush while never getting smelly or degrading. I use what Plisson call the White Evo fibre, the older generation Plissoft fibres are also good but very much a step backwards being older tech.

I buy them from Amazon, prices fluctuate over months so worth keeping an eye on them but they never go lower than £55 so if you see one at that price it's time to buy.

Great brushes but the company are arses. I bought the vintage Napoleon style brush from them last year which is a solid lump of pot metal plated in nickel. Anyway, after a couple of weeks use the nickel plating started to flake off so I opened a return via Amazon which they accepted and provided me a return address (had to cover return postage to France myself.) I then proceeded to hear naff all from them, not a peep. Once tracking showed it had been delivered I messaged in English, nothing. Messaged in French, nothing... I contemplated messaging in Klingon but gave up... Had to wait until the claim resolution time allotted by Amazon had run out so Amazon issued me a refund themselves.

Stick to the acrylic handles and you'll be fine.

The splay and flow through they exhibit is second to none, as close as you'll get to a natural brush while never getting smelly or degrading. I use what Plisson call the White Evo fibre, the older generation Plissoft fibres are also good but very much a step backwards being older tech.

I buy them from Amazon, prices fluctuate over months so worth keeping an eye on them but they never go lower than £55 so if you see one at that price it's time to buy.

Great brushes but the company are arses. I bought the vintage Napoleon style brush from them last year which is a solid lump of pot metal plated in nickel. Anyway, after a couple of weeks use the nickel plating started to flake off so I opened a return via Amazon which they accepted and provided me a return address (had to cover return postage to France myself.) I then proceeded to hear naff all from them, not a peep. Once tracking showed it had been delivered I messaged in English, nothing. Messaged in French, nothing... I contemplated messaging in Klingon but gave up... Had to wait until the claim resolution time allotted by Amazon had run out so Amazon issued me a refund themselves.

Stick to the acrylic handles and you'll be fine.
Is this one a white evo fibre?:

Plisson Classic Shaving Brush with Ivory Handle and White Fibre https://amzn.eu/d/6FwpVRO

Thanks! On Amazon I see some that are branded ‘Plisson Access’, do these contain the older or the new style of synthetic fibres?

Attachments

• IMG_0558.png
    IMG_0558.png
    428.1 KB · Views: 7
Is this one a white evo fibre?:

Plisson Classic Shaving Brush with Ivory Handle and White Fibre https://amzn.eu/d/6FwpVRO

That's the one (y)

Thanks! On Amazon I see some that are branded ‘Plisson Access’, do these contain the older or the new style of synthetic fibres?

It certainly looks the same as my white evo, though I've never used a brush from the Access range so cannot confirm 100%.

I have three or four older Plissons, which I bought when synths became more available. Nowadays I mainly use Razorock with barbershop handles. That said, my favourite is still a nicely scritchy Muhle that I had from Connaught years ago.

There are lots of good Chinese synths, and my feeling is that it's only a special handle that would lift the price to that which you mention.

I have three or four older Plissons, which I bought when synths became more available. Nowadays I mainly use Razorock with barbershop handles. That said, my favourite is still a nicely scritchy Muhle that I had from Connaught years ago.

There are lots of good Chinese synths, and my feeling is that it's only a special handle that would lift the price to that which you mention.
So what you're basically saying is that quality of the synthetic bristles in a Chinese brush is more or less on par with more expensive euro brands such as Mühle? That it is mainly the handle you're paying for?

So what you're basically saying is that quality of the synthetic bristles in a Chinese brush is more or less on par with more expensive euro brands such as Mühle? That it is mainly the handle you're paying for?
I wouldn't presume to be an expert, and there are different types of synths, but the knot prices seem to be in a fairly constant range. There certainly isn't the inexpensive to breathtaking range of badger prices.

A while ago I had a special synth brush made for me by Michael Binder at Dorian. It's a beautiful handle and a good brush, but the bulk of the cost was the handle. I've also rejuvenated a couple of my old badger handles with new knots, and I was surprised how reasonably priced quality knots were.

For years I have bowl-lathered a lot, and mashing badgers around does them no good. The switch to synths was a godsend, but I haven't worn one out yet. That puts the mockers on any "need" to replace them.

I would add that Plisson tie their own knots to the absolute highest quality rather than importing them ready made from China, as such glue bumps are never a problem, they simply don't exist in the Plisson universe. Can't say the same for Muhle which despite also making their own, knot construction has always been a bit iffy, lacking density and with unpredictable glue bumps.

Thanks all for your help! Decisions have been made. I just ordered the Plisson reference PA955809.FB12 with 'High Mountain White' handle. Should be here tomorrow. Paid just under 45,00 euro on the big river.

Attachments

• Plisson.jpg
    Plisson.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 13
Thanks all for your help! Decisions have been made. I just ordered the Plisson reference PA955809.FB12 with 'High Mountain White' handle. Should be here tomorrow. Paid just under 45,00 euro on the big river.
Small correction. 'High Mountain White' is the name of the fibre they use. Colour of the handle is 'Pearl White'. So you know :)

Back
Top Bottom