Plissoft (Style) Knots

Plissoft knots. Used a couple of them recently. I've been disappointed in the latest generation of knots: G5C etc. - they don't do it for me. The Plissoft is brilliant. I find it has the exact characteristics I want in a synthetic knot. I appreciate not everyone will share the same opinion as me. Any other fans of the Plissoft type knot here?

I found the Plissoft knot in the Razorock 400 to be average in performance and leaning towards "floppy" when wet.

Much prefer the APShaveCo 2BED synthetic, even better than G5C etc.

I found the Plissoft knot in the Razorock 400 to be average in performance and leaning towards "floppy" when wet.

Much prefer the APShaveCo 2BED synthetic, even better than G5C etc.
I liked the 2BED but moved mine on in favour of the SynBad. I like a bit of flop in my synthetics. I dislike springiness in them. Not that I found the 2BED springy.

For me plison is golden standard between synthetic knots. It can be set bit lower for extra backbone. In my opinion it's one of the best performing knots that never fails to lather anything you put at him and properly neglected because it's widely available and present for a long time. I'm speaking as a exclusive synthetic user.

The "T4" knot by dscosmetic feels like a variation on the Plisson knot, though I can't quite put my finger the why, so it might be just due to how the knot is set and its dimensions in the brush I have.

I rather like the Stirling 26mm brush I have (which feels more like a 28mm, really), though it's getting rather sparse in the middle. It's the second time it's happened to a brush of mine and I'm not sure why that is. :cautious:

Having said that, I find comparisons a little problematic, because while we can measure knot dimensions, I don't think there's a standardised way of indicating density across manufacturer, and actual shapes aren't exactly standardised.
Some "bulbs" are sort of bulbous, with the top almost flat.
Other "bulbs" are like slightly rounded fans.
Then there are "flat tops".
In-between flat tops and bulbs are "fans", but some are a little more rounded than others.
Even manufacturers themselves don't seem to keep the shapes very consistent between different knot types.

I prefer less rounded knots, as those I have are a bit more versatile than the more rounded ones and seem to hold lather better without hogging it (which rather makes sense).

@Boycie83 Have you found different knots with different fibers of the same shape, density and size, by any chance?

I rather like the Stirling 26mm brush I have (which feels more like a 28mm, really), though it's getting rather sparse in the middle. It's the second time it's happened to a brush of mine and I'm not sure why that is. :cautious:

Synthetics, especially softer ones, if pressed hard on face tend to tangle. That's how you get sparse on the middle. Solution is to lower the pressure or to comb it occasionally.

The "T4" knot by dscosmetic feels like a variation on the Plisson knot, though I can't quite put my finger the why, so it might be just due to how the knot is set and its dimensions in the brush I have.

Having said that, I find comparisons a little problematic, because while we can measure knot dimensions, I don't think there's a standardised way of indicating density across manufacturer, and actual shapes aren't exactly standardised.
Some "bulbs" are sort of bulbous, with the top almost flat.
Other "bulbs" are like slightly rounded fans.
Then there are "flat tops".
In-between flat tops and bulbs are "fans", but some are a little more rounded than others.
Even manufacturers themselves don't seem to keep the shapes very consistent between different knot types.

I prefer less rounded knots, as those I have are a bit more versatile than the more rounded ones and seem to hold lather better without hogging it (which rather makes sense).

@Boycie83 Have you found different knots with different fibers of the same shape, density and size, by any chance?
If we're talking the Plissoft type characteristics in fan shape, here's the closest I can think of, Peter:

I have this knot and will use it again soon and report back to you. It's a true fan shape. Yes there's a slight difference between Plissoft and SynBad but they share softness and characteristics which make them both favourites of mine.

I find these perform well in Hybrid form:

Caveat: the Phantom Aerolite does have a little bit of springiness to it.

Synthetics, especially softer ones, if pressed hard on face tend to tangle. That's how you get sparse on the middle. Solution is to lower the pressure or to comb it occasionally.
I basically just paint lather onto my face after bowl lathering. I also generally only push the brush into the bowl enough to engage the fibres about half-way at most. Pressing less makes generating lather take a lot longer, perceptually.
I do comb my brushes a little, usually when switching between them, and always rinse them out after use. So I reckon they should keep in decent shape.

If we're talking the Plissoft type characteristics in fan shape, here's the closest I can think of, Peter:

I have this knot and will use it again soon and report back to you. It's a true fan shape. Yes there's a slight difference between Plissoft and SynBad but they share softness and characteristics which make them both favourites of mine.

I find these perform well in Hybrid form:

Caveat: the Phantom Aerolite does have a little bit of springiness to it.
I was gifted a 30mm SynBad brush and really appreciate the cloud-like softness of it.
I had thought it might have some trouble generating lather, but it's as good at it as any other brush I have, if not better.

I think the only brush I have that's possibly softer than the SynBad is PAA's The Green Ray.

On the firmer side of things, I have a Frank Shaving 28mm G4 knot brush and it's one of my favourites. Similar to the Stirling Plissoft brush, but possibly slightly softer tips and seems to release lather better. Not that much of a function of the fibres as much as it is of how the knot had been set, IMO, but the result counts for me.
Overall, it's an upgrade for me in areas that count for me.
If the Stirling I mentioned earlier keeps thinning in the middle, I might swap out the knot for the 28mm fan G4 knot eventually. Or a Boti N3C knot.

The PAA brushes you linked to look interesting, and I'd checked them out before, but I've come to much prefer smaller handles on brushes and those seem to have relatively long handles.
Still, intriguing knots.

I suspect you'd like this brush despite it having a bit of a spring:
Two out of three dscosmetic brushes I have still shed the occasional hair, but that brush is quite nice despite of that.
It appears almost petite, but it is a 26mm, and the very light handle makes it quite easy to move around. The knot isn't super dense, but the density seems to work for the brush just fine.
Perhaps getting just the knot and setting it a bit high yourself would take care of the slight spring.

I have my eyes on two knots at present time (their the 30mm fan versions):

There's also a Boti "Newest 3 Color" (N3C) knot which looks a lot like a Plisson knot, but I haven't seen any decent reviews on it.

It's a shame the manufacturers and sellers don't offer any sort of scales of how the knots compare.

I'm holding off on them for now, both because I ordered a NAS for myself a few days ago that basically consumed almost all the disposable funds for the month, and because I'm hoping the pound is going to bounce back up.

Plissoft knots. Used a couple of them recently. I've been disappointed in the latest generation of knots: G5C etc. - they don't do it for me. The Plissoft is brilliant. I find it has the exact characteristics I want in a synthetic knot. I appreciate not everyone will share the same opinion as me. Any other fans of the Plissoft type knot here?

Hello Chris, you stated you didn't like the latest generation, the G5C. Why did these knots not work out for you?

My experiences with synth brushes has largely been confined to using ones I have bought from Yaqi, but I'd say of the numerous ones I have bought, a few are used more than the others. The first brush I ever bought from them which has a 24mm Plissoft style knot and the 24mm Sagrada Tuxedo. Both have a little spring to them, but I find them fine enough whilst building a lather.

A few years ago, I remember reading a few things Yaqi said they only had 2 fibres in production, and the numerous knots they sold were simply the same 2 fibres dyed different colours, but that was before the latest generation knots/fibres were released. However, I have found with synths of the same fibre, eg Tuxedo, different densities and glue bump heights make a huge difference for performance. I bought several Sagrada Tuxedos from Yaqi, some had enormous glue bumps and were too stiff, almost impossible to face lather with, an another has almost no glue bump and it's too floppy, and will spray lather around. So brushes that look the same with the same fibre perform really differently, and it's difficult to know what to expect.

Of all the synths I have used/own, every single one has the same issue of holding all the best lather right in the middle of the brush (some worse than others), an issue which I don't seem to have as much when I use a boar brush. Are there any synths where this isn't as much of an issue?

I basically just paint lather onto my face after bowl lathering. I also generally only push the brush into the bowl enough to engage the fibres about half-way at most. Pressing less makes generating lather take a lot longer, perceptually.
I do comb my brushes a little, usually when switching between them, and always rinse them out after use. So I reckon they should keep in decent shape.
Well I'm not sure why it happened then but regarding the looks I think it doesn't affect performance.

I was gifted a 30mm SynBad brush and really appreciate the cloud-like softness of it.
I had thought it might have some trouble generating lather, but it's as good at it as any other brush I have, if not better.

I think the only brush I have that's possibly softer than the SynBad is PAA's The Green Ray.

On the firmer side of things, I have a Frank Shaving 28mm G4 knot brush and it's one of my favourites. Similar to the Stirling Plissoft brush, but possibly slightly softer tips and seems to release lather better. Not that much of a function of the fibres as much as it is of how the knot had been set, IMO, but the result counts for me.
Overall, it's an upgrade for me in areas that count for me.
If the Stirling I mentioned earlier keeps thinning in the middle, I might swap out the knot for the 28mm fan G4 knot eventually. Or a Boti N3C knot.

The PAA brushes you linked to look interesting, and I'd checked them out before, but I've come to much prefer smaller handles on brushes and those seem to have relatively long handles.
Still, intriguing knots.

I suspect you'd like this brush despite it having a bit of a spring:
Two out of three dscosmetic brushes I have still shed the occasional hair, but that brush is quite nice despite of that.
It appears almost petite, but it is a 26mm, and the very light handle makes it quite easy to move around. The knot isn't super dense, but the density seems to work for the brush just fine.
Perhaps getting just the knot and setting it a bit high yourself would take care of the slight spring.

I have my eyes on two knots at present time (their the 30mm fan versions):

There's also a Boti "Newest 3 Color" (N3C) knot which looks a lot like a Plisson knot, but I haven't seen any decent reviews on it.

It's a shame the manufacturers and sellers don't offer any sort of scales of how the knots compare.

I'm holding off on them for now, both because I ordered a NAS for myself a few days ago that basically consumed almost all the disposable funds for the month, and because I'm hoping the pound is going to bounce back up.
I also like the Frank Shaving G4. Had a few hit and miss experiences with their glue bumps however.

I've also tried that Dscosmetics brush you've posted but that also had an obscene glue bump:

Post in thread 'Chinese Synthetic Brushes' https://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/community/threads/chinese-synthetic-brushes.53006/post-803215

Hello Chris, you stated you didn't like the latest generation, the G5C. Why did these knots not work out for you?

My experiences with synth brushes has largely been confined to using ones I have bought from Yaqi, but I'd say of the numerous ones I have bought, a few are used more than the others. The first brush I ever bought from them which has a 24mm Plissoft style knot and the 24mm Sagrada Tuxedo. Both have a little spring to them, but I find them fine enough whilst building a lather.

A few years ago, I remember reading a few things Yaqi said they only had 2 fibres in production, and the numerous knots they sold were simply the same 2 fibres dyed different colours, but that was before the latest generation knots/fibres were released. However, I have found with synths of the same fibre, eg Tuxedo, different densities and glue bump heights make a huge difference for performance. I bought several Sagrada Tuxedos from Yaqi, some had enormous glue bumps and were too stiff, almost impossible to face lather with, an another has almost no glue bump and it's too floppy, and will spray lather around. So brushes that look the same with the same fibre perform really differently, and it's difficult to know what to expect.

Of all the synths I have used/own, every single one has the same issue of holding all the best lather right in the middle of the brush (some worse than others), an issue which I don't seem to have as much when I use a boar brush. Are there any synths where this isn't as much of an issue?
I just didn't get on with its characteristics, Shubs. The current chase in synthetics seems to be around emulating badgers. The G5C seems to be aiming for a gel tip 2 band fan type feel. It's probably the closest synthetic to that but it loses its appeal to me as a synthetic as a result.

The dense badgers are real lather hogs so the synthetics seem to be much more free flowing to me. The release of further lather from a synthetic seems to be related to how easily it can splay. I build the lather for the first pass with the tips then splay (slightly) for the second pass to get what's left. There's normally more than enough for a couple more passes.

I just didn't get on with its characteristics, Shubs. The current chase in synthetics seems to be around emulating badgers. The G5C seems to be aiming for a gel tip 2 band fan type feel. It's probably the closest synthetic to that but it loses its appeal to me as a synthetic as a result.

The dense badgers are real lather hogs so the synthetics seem to be much more free flowing to me. The release of further lather from a synthetic seems to be related to how easily it can splay. I build the lather for the first pass with the tips then splay (slightly) for the second pass to get what's left. There's normally more than enough for a couple more passes.

Thanks for the info.

I was unaware about the current generation of synths chasing to be like badger brushes. Sorry if I'm going off topic, but are densely packed knots favourable for badger brushes? Those large dense brushes look like they use a lot of soap! I've noticed a few of the MIC knot sellers on Aliexpress, like Oumo and Boti having large dense badger knots. Even though I'm not a user of badger brushes, I've been intrigued by the huge range of choices there for consumers of badger brushes. Boar brush consumers largely have two options, bleached or unbleached!

I was unaware about the current generation of synths chasing to be like badger brushes. Sorry if I'm going off topic, but are densely packed knots favourable for badger brushes? Those large dense brushes look like they use a lot of soap! I've noticed a few of the MIC knot sellers on Aliexpress, like Oumo and Boti having large dense badger knots. Even though I'm not a user of badger brushes, I've been intrigued by the huge range of choices there for consumers of badger brushes. Boar brush consumers largely have two options, bleached or unbleached!
Considering how much soap some people buy, soap eater brushes might be a blessing for some. :)
Possibly also for those who shave more than just their face.

Hmmm, my G5C (30mm) actually seems to be releasing lather quite readily. I asked Andrew to set it as high as he could, too.
It's probably partly in the lather. Mine is almost droopy these days - just about holds peaks. I found the extra hydration results in an easier shave for me, so I've been sticking to that, and perhaps that also helps the release.

The Dscosmetic G7 I have, on the other hand, seems to be comparably dense, but it's a very rounded bulb and doesn't release lather quite as well.
It's what made me curious about fan shaped knots even more than I had been before.

Back
Top Bottom