Please help some newbies

Hi all,

OK, both my husband I am want to move to DE razors & wet shaving. He is super busy with work at the moment so has left me to do all the research & I think I am drowning in info at the moment! :lol:

We don't mind spending a bit more to get a good starter kit. My husband has rather sensitive skin with adult acne, but has very think quick growing stubble. Is there a particular razor that would suit his needs more than others?

For my self I am liking the look of the EJ razors, but keep reading about lots of ladies who love their lady gillette & am rather tempted by this one on EBay (it's the only one I can find!) <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Lady-Gillette-Blue-K4-Razor-Near-Immaculate-1965-Q4-/180629770514?pt=UK_Collectables_Barber_Shop_Collectables_LE&hash=item2a0e5f9112#ht_1550wt_74" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Lady-Gillette-Blu ... _1550wt_74</a><!-- m -->

Does it look OK from the pics & is the price sensible?

Sorry for the silly questions that you probably get all the time, but my head is swimming with all the choices there is to be made! :oops:

Lisa

That's a very pretty ladies razor but I wouldn't rush into buying that just yet. As for your husband there is a good chance that his skin problems are exacerbated by his shaving habits, buying the right kit isn't enough, it's a skill you will both have to learn.

So study the guides in shaving help and ask away, the amount of choice can be very daunting, just take your time.

Ladies razor's tend to have longer handles for extra reach and I'd say the bodyshop macaroot shaving cream has a gender neutral scent that may appeal to both of you.

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5931" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5931</a><!-- l -->

A slim twist would be a perfect ladies razor to start with.

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=7440" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=11&t=7440</a><!-- l -->

Firstly, welcome. And thete are no silly questions. Plenty of silly answers though!

The EJ is very highly regarded. I take it you are looking at the special offer on Amazon?

Regarding the Ladyshave, I am no expert but that looks expensive. If he doesnt post here try pm'ing Max, username Frenchblade for a view on that price.

You havent mentioned blades, but I cant resist plugging our pif in the B/S/T forum. Put your name down and when it is your turn you will receive a choice of blades. Help yourself to some to try, if you have any spare put them in, and send it on. A painless way of trying some different blades.

All the best

Both the EJ DE89 & Muhle R89 are grand razors at a good price if it is new you were looking to go.

Lady Gillettes? They do tend to be pricey but I really do not know why - pretty colours? Scarcity? Overhyped?

What I do know is that whether male or female, the vintage Gillette I would (and relentlessly so) recommend is a Flair Tip Superspeed. The actual Flair on the end of the handle is really quite ergonomic when held upside down, for say..... shaving a leg - yes I have just got one from upstairs, rolled up my trouser leg and tried it - albeit without the blade :roll:

Gingernut said:
WOW you lot reply fast!! Thank you :D

In 2009, a crack commando shaving unit was sent to prison by a military forum for crimes they didn't commit (such as group buys and innuendo). Today, still wanted by their rival mods, they survive as ...er... shaving-soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem, if no-one else can help, if you can find them and if you don't mind a fair smattering of irrelevant banter, maybe you can hire the TSR-Team!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyz_2DEah4o[/youtube]

Hi Lisa,

Glad you and your husband want to give de shaving a go!

For your vintage razors, I would speak to Max (FrenchBlade) on here a go. I'm sure he won't mind you a PM.

He is very trustworthy and much better then any eBay auction as you will get a better description and know the true quality of razor. He is someone I 100% trust.

I'd say your husband could benefit from a rocket or hd rocket as it will get a great shave with the least amount of passes which is great for that type of skin.

As for yourself, I'm not sure :lol:

Wish you all the best on your journey!

Thanks all, esp those that practised leg shaving for me, & making us laugh at the A Team reference! :D

Max has offered us a good deal in my lady gillette & a rocket HD for hubbie......are these going to be better than just getting some new starter ones like the EJ or similar?

I have spent nearly all day researching all of this & think my poor head is going to explode once I get the boys to bed! :lol:

Gingernut said:
Max has offered us a good deal in my lady gillette & a rocket HD for hubbie......are these going to be better than just getting some new starter ones like the EJ or similar?

I:

Hi there,

I've used the Lady Gilette myself in the past (for science) and it's a very good choice for a starting off point. It shaves pretty much like most other superspeeds ( it has a superspeed head), and those types are extremely popular among the members. My daughter uses a Lady Gillette with great success.

That Rocket always gets excellent reviews, and it's one that I'd like to try sometime. That will be another good razor for Mr Gingernut to start things off with.

Good luck with those,

Martin

Oh yeah, make sure to get a sample pack of blades, and don't start with either a Merkur or a Feather. Save those till you've tried other blades and your technique is good.

Back
Top Bottom