Pinning

I think Dovo are doing something along those lines, probably a pair of concave dies set up in an arbor press or something of the sort:

Dovopinning.jpg

Personally, I reckon it looks terrible.

lagaffe said:
Exile said:
Neil I like the idea of the two pieces of wood and wing nuts I am going to make one of those so I can sit in the garden and sand while I enjoy the sun.

Lagaffe you said you got some #0 brass washers from eBay & a model shop. Have they arrived and are the washers all the same size.
I ordered some from the bay of evil and they where all sizes and thickness.

Yep - they all seem to be the same size & thickness: these were the ones I got.

Bloomin' 'eck though - how hard is pinning? The videos & guides make it look easy, but do you think I could get the brass rod to dome/mushroom enough to hold the first side on? No I couldn't. It spread slightly, but not enough to stop the washer popping off. I was at it for 1/2hr, and got it spread just enough to hold it, but once I started on the other side, the washer came off the first one, despite being in my newly-dimpled vice plate. Somehow I eventually managed to get it finished, though it wasn't quite as good as it could have been. The blade isn't as centred as it could be though it's OK.

Is my brass rod just tough, or is there a technique that I'm not getting?

Hi there I have had some of these washers sent me they are like the microfastners 0# wide and the hole is ever so slightly larger than a 1/16 I used them for the thrust washer and they are very good for this.

With regards the pinning I have had a good look at how I pin. The brass rod is put into my vice and the first half dozen strikes are quite hard and it only takes about a dozen at the most to get the rod mushroomed over to stop the washer falling off. It is the same for making the second rivet head about half dozen firm strikes then lots of soft blows to make the razor tight in the scales and to polish the head of the rivet. I think that when you hit the brass rod to start with I think that you work hardened it by using lots of small blows (sorry for that information with regards lots of light taps) The information before was right about softening the brass up by heating it. If you are having any more problems I will send you some brass rod that I use to see if it any different to what you are using.

Graham

Cheers Graham.

I've heated the rod to soften it up fopr the next time I try pinning. If I'm still having problems, I'll take you up on your offer of a little bit of your brass rod to see how it compares.

I tend to use a 20z ball pein modeller's hammer and a steel mini-anvil also obtained from a modelling store. It has a hole drilled in a handy spot for accepting rod etc and really does work well.

Spartacus said:
I tend to use a 20z ball pein modeller's hammer and a steel mini-anvil also obtained from a modelling store. It has a hole drilled in a handy spot for accepting rod etc and really does work well.

20 oz? Is that a typo?

Did you mean to type 2 oz?

asharperrazor said:
Spartacus said:

20 oz? Is that a typo?

Did you mean to type 2 oz?

Nah, 20 ounce mate, makes peening a breeze!

(Yep it's a typo)

Back
Top Bottom