PIF'ed: Dinged Fatboy

EDIT: Scroll down to post #12 for pictures.

Hello all.

I have this morning taken delivery of two user grade Fatboys.

One of them has a little brassing and has lost some of the black paint on the dial, but the mechanism still works perfectly and it looks like it ought to shave very well.

The other, however, while superficially having a nicer appearance, suffers from a few scratches on the bar. These scratches are deep enough that when drawing the head across the palm of my hand (no blade), I can feel them catch against the skin of my hand.

Obviously, I wouldn't want to draw that across my face mid-shave, but it seems such a pity to think of the Fatboy as a write-off - does anyone know if these sorts of scratches can be polished out, or will that result in the blade gap being uneven, and thus the Fatboy still be useless?

Ah, hang on... I've just spotted that guard also has a bit of a ding in it. Hmm. Might be one to strip for parts, then.

The shame is that I had intended one of the Fatboys to become a passaround, but in its current condition it is not fit for purpose. I'll probably end up PIF'ing it to anyone interested. I'll try and get some decent photos of the damage up this evening.

RE: Scratched guard on Fatboy - bin job?

Ken T M said:
Ah, hang on... I've just spotted that guard also has a bit of a ding in it. Hmm. Might be one to strip for parts, then.

What on Earth would you do with the bits?
Depending on the cost you might want to send some pictures to one of the razor restorers and let them see if they can polish the scratches out or even re-plate.

Father Ted said:
Ken T M said:

What on Earth would you do with the bits?
Depending on the cost you might want to send some pictures to one of the razor restorers and let them see if they can polish the scratches out or even re-plate.

Ha, I have no interest in taking apart a Fatboy, but perhaps someone more... committed?

Do we have any restorers on the boards?

If I understand the problem correctly I'd just use some needle files to lightly remove the worst of the scratches, that should be sufficient. If the saftey bar is bent you should with some gentle easing with a screw driver be able to get it back

antdad said:
If I understand the problem correctly I'd just use some needle files to lightly remove the worst of the scratches, that should be sufficient. If the saftey bar is bent you should with some gentle easing with a screw driver be able to get it back

Hm. Interesting. I was thinking along those lines, but I was worried that I might bugger up the blade gap completely if I didn't do it right...? Probably best left to the experts, but if no-one wants to take it on, I might have a go myself.

Ken T M said:
antdad said:

Hm. Interesting. I was thinking along those lines, but I was worried that I might bugger up the blade gap completely if I didn't do it right...? Probably best left to the experts, but if no-one wants to take it on, I might have a go myself.

Ken, whats the date code of the FB as some are a breeze to strip down. I pulled mine to bits in about 20 mins and if it just the blade bar you would not have to take much off it to sort it out.
Steve

Ken T M said:

My 10 bobsworth... it's currently buggered. If you bugger up the repair it's still buggered. You have the opportunity for some risk-free learning :)

Nothing's a bin job, it all depends on how much time/effort/money you want to spend on sorting it out. The scratch could be polished out, 2000 grit wet and dry and solvol autosol, elbow grease and patience, depending on the depth the plating may or may not need re-doing. As for the bent guard, if it's bent in it can be persuaded out, very gently and some heat from a blow torch would help.

If you don't fancy doing it, I'd be keen to have a pop.

Cheerio,

Tadpole

hunnymonster said:
My 10 bobsworth... it's currently buggered. If you bugger up the repair it's still buggered. You have the opportunity for some risk-free learning :)

:icon_arrowu: What he says :icon_arrowu:

As you can see, other than the dent and the scratches, the whole blade gap is on the squiff across the length of the head.

I've had a look at some of the videos and instructions on how to take apart a Fatboy, and I have neither the tools nor the inclination...

This may just go to the keenest person (Tadpole's an early frontrunner), but in an ideal world I'd like it to become a passaround once fixed (that was my intention when I bought it, before I could assess the damage).

picture1kqd.jpg

picture2tl.jpg

picture3ch.jpg

picture4qm.jpg

picture9c.jpg

picture10yh.jpg

RE: Scratched guard on Fatboy *PICTURES ADDED*

Ken T M said:
Bump.

If no-one has any further advice, this'll be going as a PIF soon.

Ken, looking at your pics the blade plate has taken a severe bang. In my opinion it will need a strip down to work on the plate and even then it will take time and patience. It is well beyond a pair of pliers and a screwdriver. If you look at the stripped down pic I posted you will see the offending part at the top right of the pic. The problem is if you try it assembled you stand a chance of bending other parts of the razor.
Of course others may feel different, but it's your call.
Steve

Well I'm prepared to take it on just as long as I don't get shouted at if I reduce it to a pile of bits never to be re-assembled ever again. Can't say I've ever rebuilt a razor but most things that went together can be taken appart and bent metal can be carefully straightened.

I promise not to use the Terry's Chocolate Orange principle to dismantle it, "tap it and un-wrap it" or the more common translation, "if in doubt, give it a clout". I will leave my collection hammers locked away in the man cave.

tadpole said:
Well I'm prepared to take it on just as long as I don't get shouted at if I reduce it to a pile of bits never to be re-assembled ever again. Can't say I've ever rebuilt a razor but most things that went together can be taken appart and bent metal can be carefully straightened.

I promise not to use the Terry's Chocolate Orange principle to dismantle it, "tap it and un-wrap it" or the more common translation, "if in doubt, give it a clout". I will leave my collection hammers locked away in the man cave.

Hammers are good...............just tiny ones.......:dodgy::dodgy:

Back
Top Bottom