Picking a Wristwatch

Having salivated at your 'Post your watches' thread, and a smallish budget burning a hole in my wallet, I've popped on here to ask for any recommendation when it comes to buying a luxury wrist watch, and knowing next to nothing about this kind of thing...

I'm drawn towards Rado watches, but before pulling the trigger, would like some recommendations from yourselves at other brands or specific watches I could look into first.
It would be for sceptical occasions and wearing out with a lady friend. I prefer leather/rubber straps as I find links tend to catch my wrist hair. I'd prefer a watch without a chronograph too.

Any help would be appreciated.

I have a budget of £1000 to £1500.

Rob

If simplicity appeals, then I know exactly what I'd be buying in that range: a Meistersinger.

http://www.meistersinger.net/Product_Line/category.html?type_id=1

I like the perigraph, in "single handed with function" most of all, I think. The only reason I don't have one is with my huge wrists I can't fit most automatic watches under a shirt cuff.

i would tend to avoid Rado.. they are like bang olufsen stereos. Major on design, but the actual mechanics are not all that impressive. Many of them are quartz models and they are very expensive for what they are.

If you want something with some heritage, look at Longines. They do fantastic watches that are as good as anything Omega and R olex put out, and have the name and heritage to back it up, but are less well known than the major players so tend to be priced well.

Theres also:

-Ball (of which i'm fond of the Engineer Moonphase)
-Oris (The TT1 is a classic dive watch with superb detailing)
-Hamilton (i own a jazzmaster chrono, which is superb value in the medium to high end watches)

excuse the space between the R and the O.. for some reason this forum doesnt like the word R Olex and wont let me post with it complete

My Rolex story: once upon a time when I had some money(sadly no longer). I felt that I 'needed' a Rolex. So off to see my mate who managed a jewelry store for his wife's uncle and he helped me pick out a nice Rolex (stainless on his recommendation). Came in; nice, ok really nice, but off a second or three or four a month. Buddy sent it back to Rolex. Month later it came back. Still off by a little. So sent it back again. ... Third time Rolex USA calls my mate advising him to tell me that "this was a Rolex a chronometer and that if I wanted sometime that was perfect each month for me to buy a Timex!"! True story.
Still have the Rolex but use a Timex auto wind.

[attachment=5047]

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341086720.783322.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341086720.783322.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 65
Cheers chaps.

After much, and I do mean loads, of surfing of the web, I've kinda settled on my top 3 watches.
Now picking between them...

Ball Fireman Night Train
Hamilton Ventura Graceland
Oris Williams F1 Skeleton

All three look really good to me, I'm just not sure which I prefer. Tomorrow I'll head into town and try the Hamilton and Oris on, unfortunately the Ball isn't stocked locally so if the other two don't sit right, I'll take a chance with the Night Train.

Anyone on here have any experience with any of these watches I've mentioned?

Not too keen on that Hamilton, but liking the Ball.

I recently bought a Tag aquaracer auto and was very tempted by the Ball watches then.

One thing I would suggest, if you haven't already considered it, is a second hand watch, you'll make a huge saving, and it'll open up a huge range of watches within your budget.

There are lots of reputable dealers.

Garbe said:
Not too keen on that Hamilton, but liking the Ball.

I recently bought a Tag aquaracer auto and was very tempted by the Ball watches then.

One thing I would suggest, if you haven't already considered it, is a second hand watch, you'll make a huge saving, and it'll open up a huge range of watches within your budget.

There are lots of reputable dealers.

Cheers for the suggestion? Any particular second hand websites you could recommend? Had a quick browse though Google search...

Don't know if I can post, mods please delete if inappropriate.

But I tend to browse watches.co.uk - based in London and you can collect from them.

Dr Rick said:
If simplicity appeals, then I know exactly what I'd be buying in that range: a Meistersinger.

http://www.meistersinger.net/Product_Line/category.html?type_id=1

I like the perigraph, in "single handed with function" most of all, I think. The only reason I don't have one is with my huge wrists I can't fit most automatic watches under a shirt cuff.

Great choice!

Here's mine:

[attachment=5423]

Perished said:
Cheers chaps.

After much, and I do mean loads, of surfing of the web, I've kinda settled on my top 3 watches.
Now picking between them...

Ball Fireman Night Train
Hamilton Ventura Graceland
Oris Williams F1 Skeleton

All three look really good to me, I'm just not sure which I prefer. Tomorrow I'll head into town and try the Hamilton and Oris on, unfortunately the Ball isn't stocked locally so if the other two don't sit right, I'll take a chance with the Night Train.

Anyone on here have any experience with any of these watches I've mentioned?

So, what did you get?

Have you considered at least pricing your three choice watches in the US? Would you consider buying one there?

I buy watches there with a price including not only shipping but import tax estimates - which have been refunded every time. My watches have never been in your price range, I have to add..

Dr Rick said:
Lovely perigraph :). Needing a slimmer unit I ended up with a Botta Uno, which I've been delighted with.

They look interesting. Which model did you go for? Some are very nice. Once you start using a singlehanded watch you do begin to wonder why there aren't more.

They would be much easier for teaching kids the time.

I have the 40mm black-face metal bracelet, without date (wasn't an option when I bought mine; in retrospect I'm glad, as I would have ordered it and I now think it's better maximally simple). I've had it quite a few years now and it's my every-day watch.

Back
Top Bottom