Picked up a 'vintage' Dovo...

Grabbed this cased Dovo whilst browsing the antiques market in Angel:

4750909593_c4197ab8f2.jpg

4751550670_a850d2508d.jpg

4750909905_7373b5061b.jpg

4750910093_0c58f8e85e.jpg

It's a Fritz Bracht #80 whatever that means :? and seems to be in reasonably good condition. There is some etching on the blade, but it's long since been rendered illegible (to my eyes anyway!). The pins and all nice and tight and the scales are dead straight - might be a good candidate for a polish and hone.

My question: Is it any good? I paid a tenner for it - there were a load of knackered old non-name straights in the shop too, but I passed those over after I saw this. I assume its an older razor, rather than a badly aged one from 1994 :lol:

As far as I know, I think :) , Fritz was a master grinder in Solingen and worked at Dovo for some years and his blades are supposed to be good. Neil knows more, but I think it should prove to be better than an ordinarie Dovo of today (if there´s nothing wrong with the blade).

Fritz Bracht was indeed a master craftsman. He took over Dovo (from Mr DOrp and Mr VOos who retired) in 1936 and the "Fritz Bracht" marked Dovos are far superior to current offerings.

Regards,
Neil

Thanks for the info chaps - I'm still trying to pluck up the courage and cash to send one of the 6 razors I now own off to Neil for honing and polishing.... and then of course buying the hones and strop and paste and bandages etc.etc.

Back
Top Bottom