Photo of the day

#talesofgovanhill

Beauty is where you find it - sometimes fleeting and momentary - a poster protesting about something - I can't remember what - we are a bit arsey around these parts - what do you have? Somebody will object to it. The poster peeled back in the wind - then fell off a second later. Thankfully I happened to be paying attention at the time. Much like shaving - photographers can be mindful too. Yours - I.

@Blademonkey

#talesofgovanhill -

Stay safe - and pick up your dog shit. Apparently - we are coming out of lock-down - I'm left both agoraphobic and claustrophobic by the experience - that might seem contradictory - not for me. Confined indoors and scared to go out - I can now - but the world has been tainted. Which I think this picture shows. Okay - I became 53 a couple of days ago - but I am sure Covid is going to affect the rest of my life - in one way shape or form, Let's not start on climate change? Apparently - everybody is going to fly to Glasgow next month to talk about it? - wankers - you haven't thought the argument through. In a greater sense - pity your children - those of you that have them - they will inherit the mess we have created. I.

@Blademonkey

Interesting post, I suspect I may come at our current crises differently to you but share your sense of alarm...2021 will, I believe, be a historic year with so many issues - economic, geopolitical, climate, public health intersecting and certainly in the West we have a dearth of leadership. Personally, from a financial perspective, I am long on ropes and guillotines

Indeed - a paucity of leadership. Pity the poor Afghans - their problems are immeasurable compared to mine. Yours - I.

These are stock photograph from 1910 and 1880 which still resonate strongly today - showing 1/ Afghans shooting from the Kyber Pass and 2/ a British Officer and his Staff. Prior to the recent occupation, the British fought three wars in Afghanistan, occupying or controlling the country over 80 years until 1919; we lost tens of thousands of young men during this period. Amazingly, photographs from this time show little change in the rural landscape from today...the "Graveyard of all Empires".

Last edited:
Prior to the recent occupation, the British fought three wars in Afghanistan
Indeed - not many contemporary commentators appear to know this......

Afghans shooting from the Kyber Pass
Regrettably - for all concerned - the jezail has been replaced with weapons of a considerably higher muzzle velocity.

I.