Phoenix & Beau Solaris Tallow Soap

WHAT IS IT, AND WHAT DOES IT DO?
Phoenix & Beau Solaris Soap - A tallow based soap, that gives exquisite shaves.

IMG_9976.jpg

IMG_9977.jpg

APPLICATION METHOD AND DESCRIPTION:
As I found with the early samples of the P&B tallow soap, this soap loads nice and easy, and gives a lather that is dense, rich, creamy and almost totally void of visible bubbles. Using any type of shave brush, you can get a quality lather that is a joy to use...read on!

SCENT:
This is the most delicately fragranced so far of all Phoenix & Beau's offerings, but that's not to say it is lacking in scent, only that like a summers meadow, the scent is gentle, almost caressing of your nose. The strongest note is the bitter lemon, followed by the balancing mint that brings an element of a balmy summers evening, sipping a G&T on the picnic blanket in said meadow. Very fresh, ideal for a day where you want something slightly cooling.

LATHERABILITY:
As we've come to love (and expect), Solaris lathers up a storm very quickly indeed. A wet brush taken to the soap brings oodles of prelather that creates this beauty in the bowl:

AdobePhotoshopExpress_259c548b0f244c67920665c4a7f2f236.jpg

PERFORMANCE:
Performance is clearly something very important to Phoenix & Beau, as Solaris has all the boxes ticked. More glide than a figure skater on ice and more cushion that your local DFS (or indeed any other sofa superstore). I am in no doubt that this is a result of the thorough testing that occurred prior to launch, something I love about the P&B ethos, involve the customer in every stage.

POST SHAVE:
Yes, yes and more yes. I tried a new razor today (see photo below) and found that even with a fearsome blade, there is no degradation in PSF (post shave finish). My skin feels exactly like it should. Top marks again.

CONCLUSIVE COMMENTS:
Well well well, a full house of brilliant soaps in the Phoenix & Beau collection. To be honest, I had no doubt that this would be the case. The care that goes into making these soaps is evident in every aspect. This is an ideal soap for someone wanting a fresh scent, amazing performance and unparalleled post shave feel. I leave you with this photo of what was a glorious shave of the day, brightened indeed by the rays of Solaris.

WP_20160304_05_24_41_Pro-01.jpeg

SOTD
Hot Towel, Phoenix & Beau Solaris, Body Shop Synthetic, Mongoose B3 Satin, Feather Pro (1), Cold Towel

What can I say! Like the first rays of light on a summers day, this shave felt exactly the same. Glorious! Fresh, smooth, and ultimately wonderful in every aspect. The soap is an excellent performer, allowing for no drama, and the scent is light, airy and makes me want to sit on a blanket in a field with a loved one, a picnic and a G&T. Bring on the summer!

@nick_s, thanks for your review. I completely agree with you in all you tell us. My order was received yesterday afternoon and my SOTD has been with Solaris. WONDERFUL SOAP... Let me show you a lather shot after making my first pass, face lathered.
9a82695dcde6195184ebd665b9918533.jpg

Unfortunately mine smells rather unpleasantly of ammonia and even airing it out that seems to come back again after it's been closed up for a few days. The performance was pretty average too unfortunately compared to many other soaps I have. Shame as I had high hopes for another UK artisan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unfortunately mine smells rather unpleasantly of ammonia and even airing it out that seems to come back again after it's been closed up for a few days. The performance was pretty average too unfortunately compared to many other soaps I have. Shame as I had high hopes for another UK artisan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
May be worth trying another fly3k, P&B has some of the best lather properties I have experienced.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Had same problem as fly3k with citra royale, aired it for week closed it, opened a day later and still had strong ammonia smell. Test lathered on hand and it seemed fine but afraid to put it on my face because of smell. Bit disappointed as I was looking forward to this soap

Back
Top Bottom