Persistence pays off

Over a year ago I checked out a local collectables shop. The owner showed me a few straights and a Rolls Razor. She also ferreted about for a safety razor which she had once seen in a box somewhere in the shop but now could not find; she thought it might turn up eventually. After 3 months I went back but still no joy. I gave it another 6 months then checked again..although I thought it was probably something pretty common like a Tech there was always the chance of something interesting.

Third time lucky! She scurried around the back of the shop, a few moments of doubt as nothing appeared then she returned with an open comb TTO. She had no idea what to charge me so I gave her a tenner for her dedication to finding it! The razor looked pretty grubby with a dropped TTO knob but on cleaning her up I found I had a Gillette Popular no 45, from the '30s I think. Teeth were in good shape and the knob was secured using pincers when the mechanism was locked in position. It now functions perfectly.

The open comb Gillettes from this era are very satisfying shavers.

Great find, the #45 Popular is a very nice razor, think aristocrat OC with a Super speed handle. Might even be rhodium.

Was the plating in good nick? I hope you didn't do much damage with the pincers.

You can also fix that problem with an old style vice like pipe cutter with a deliberately blunt blade. Tighten, turn, tighten turn.....etc.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/One-Piece%20open%20comb/1938%20Popular%20No47%20England.JPG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/One-Pi ... ngland.JPG</a><!-- m -->

OK so I retook the shot on a lower resolution. Checking a mr-razor post elsewhere I remembered wrongly and see he lists the razor as no. 46. The razor has a two-tone appearance but I think this must be plate loss. The handle has a coppery hue while the rest of it is more "brassy".

[attachment=0]

Attachments

• pop2.jpg
    360 bytes · Views: 48
Back
Top Bottom