Perma-sharp vs Iridium

I'm intrigued enough with the mystique associated with the Iridium Super blades to pursue this a bit further. If Gillette is still manufacturing the Iridium blade in their St Petersburg plant, they certainly are not marketing the blade under that name. Much discussion can be found within the shaving community concerning which, if any, of the blades currently marketed by Gillette is the much beloved Iridium masquerading under a new label. Many would agree that the blades manufactured in Gillette's St Petersburg facility are some of the best being made today...but are they the same blade as the Iridium or the other much beloved extinct Gillette blade, the Swede? This is certainly a subject that to my knowledge has not been answered definitively, surprising perhaps given the high level of interest regarding this subject within the shaving community.

Returning to the Perma-Sharp issue, I note that Gillette produces a 7 O'Clock Permasharp Stainless in India that is marketed in a green package. The Perma-Sharp Super (absent the 7 O'Clock name and with a hyphenated spelling of permasharp) is packed in a gold package and sold in Turkey and perhaps elsewhere. I have personally not shaved with this blade much less even seen one. The previous contibutor indicated he believes it is manufactured in Gillette's St Petersburg facility. I would appreciate comments on how the gold package Perma-Sharp compares to other blades manufactured in the Gillette St Petersburg facility, the Iridium, and the Gillette Swede.

Hopefully this will spark an interesting series of follow-on comments.

Back
Top Bottom