Pentasodium Pentetate: Floris & D.R. Harris

Do you think they will all reformulate or just pack in soap and go cream only?

The factory that makes it will simply substitute a different ingredient to appease the EU. Same thing will likely happen as what happened when all the stupid paranoia about parabens was going wild about a decade ago.

Companies had to take it out or risk loss of sales despite a minuscule amount of the ingredient in the products that was never proved to cause serious harm.

Don't think those substituted ingredients will come with their own downsides and potential risks? Sorry but things don't work that way. At least the quantity again, will be minuscule.

Here are some relevant screenshots from the study. First the conclusion, then the concentrations (percentages) used in the products. Who is ingesting huge quantities of this stuff or slathering concentrated industrial amounts on their body and face? I know I am not.

If you are really paranoid, make sure you throw out any household cleaning products, detergents, colognes, etc. because a lot of those contain potentially harmful ingredients as well. So do substances that occur in nature. Even something seemingly innocuous as Bergamot or Lavender EO can cause horrible reactions in some folks.

Screenshot 2023-12-01 at 16-44-49 10.1080_10915810802244546.pdf - 2008-final-report-on-the-saf...pngScreenshot 2023-12-01 at 16-45-25 10.1080_10915810802244546.pdf - 2008-final-report-on-the-saf...pngScreenshot 2023-12-01 at 16-45-51 10.1080_10915810802244546.pdf - 2008-final-report-on-the-saf...png

Has Harris soaps went through any re-formulations as all mine are at least 11 years old.

Mine are probably about a decade old. Some of the newer ones have a slightly different formula going by ingredients list. Tallowate is the first ingredient now on some of them. Before it was 2nd or 3rd.

Lately I have been using the DRH creams in my rotation. Rose and Sandalwood.

Quick skim across my soaps reveals the British hard soaps (which we believe are all from a common formulation) ...

Crabtree & Evelyn
Culmak
Cyril R Salter
DR Harris
Trumpers
Truefitt & Hill

... but also:

L'Occitane
De Vergulde Hand
LEA Classic
Muhle
Tabac ... the veg reformulation (NOT the older tallow formulation)

... so, errr not that "banned" in the EU, then?

... and:
EcoWarrior Shaving Bar ... okay, the first (good?) formulation

I went through a phase of striving for ingredient purity, but given how laughably poor our food chain is puts it into perspective.

Back
Top Bottom