Penhaligons Disappointment

Mikael said:
Some creams ( and soaps) needs special treatment, I find that this cream is one of them.

So what's up with this stuff and what kinda special way to lather do you need to use? The cream I tried a while back lathered up real easy and was thicker than usual on my face. It was also on the softer side and dissolved fast during the whisking process.

I'm surprised to read so many nothing special kinda comments on this product. Tough to complain about it at that price, otherwise at full retail it could be not so wonderful. Weird deal.

Grampy

I've never used Penhaligons, but looking at the tubes, there seem to be all sorts of different ingredients in each one, but without any real distinction. So they appeared a bit all things to all people. A bit like a car showroom where all the different cars are black. Not like, say, D R Harris which uses more definite fragrances.

But my take on this is that if shaving cream has too strong a fragrance you could end up sneezing while shaving.

dodgy said:
So what's up with this stuff and what kinda special way to lather do you need to use? The cream I tried a while back lathered up real easy and was thicker than usual on my face. It was also on the softer side and dissolved fast during the whisking process.

I'm surprised to read so many nothing special kinda comments on this product. Tough to complain about it at that price, otherwise at full retail it could be not so wonderful. Weird deal.

Grampy

Hi Crampy!

For me, it worked best with face lathering, much like Castle Forbes and MWF (the later also works well with palm lathering). You never told me to do something special with Pen cream, but when I bowl lathered it, it wasn't up to snuff, for me (but I've only tried it once, maybe I should try again though ...). I think it was great value, at £9 and I'm happy I bought two :D

There was a discount when I bought my two - can't remember but a few quid off. Maybe £7.50 each.

My face objects to something in it - can't use it too regularly. But then, why would I?

Mikael said:
Hi Crampy!

For me, it worked best with face lathering, much like Castle Forbes and MWF (the later also works well with palm lathering). You never told me to do something special with Pen cream, but when I bowl lathered it, it wasn't up to snuff, for me (but I've only tried it once, maybe I should try again though ...). I think it was great value, at £9 and I'm happy I bought two :D

Strange deal,

I woulda thought most everyone would have commented on how easy it is to bowl lather this stuff. To me the term 'burst into lather' describes the Pens creams used in the past. I never thought to suggest doing anything unusual for lathering.

Anyway, thanks for the response.

I wonder if the Endymion has less fragrance than the other Penhaligon's shaving creams. I have used the Blenheim Bouquet and the Opus and they both had very strong scents. For me the Penhaligon's products are all about the fragrance. In terms of performance, the shaving cream doesn't work any better than TOBS or T&H (in my opinion) but the wonderful and complex fragrances are what stand them apart.

Have we considered the sensitivity to Endymion of the nose involved and the quantity of product used in forming a lather.

We know that Endymion smellls great and that the OP was underwhelmed by it, which is a shame even at £9.

Bechet45 said:
Have we considered the sensitivity to Endymion of the nose involved and the quantity of product used in forming a lather.

We know that Endymion smellls great and that the OP was underwhelmed by it, which is a shame even at £9.

I did post a subsequent opinion update on the Endymion after having used the Crabtree & Evelyn cream and finding that to be very poor on lathering based on the amount of product that needed to be used.

I will have to revisit the smell, as although not a major factor based on wanting to leave the final product as the one to achieve your required scent, I've always felt that I have a fairly sensitive sense of smell and having used some of the EDT samples that Penhaligons kindly sent me I believe this to borne out as I was totally blown away by them and how the fragrances changed over a period of time.

Saving the Singapore Sling for a special occassion though!

I now accept that at £9.00 the Endymion was a bargain, but like you I couldn't see myself ordering at the full price of £23.00.

Pete

Aha! Sherlock!

There's another thread - about longest lasting shaving soap scent. This morning I used a TOBS bath soap for the first time. I begin to see a connection! A pattern emerges!

My soap is delightfully - and lightly - fragranced, just as it is supposed to be. A hint, a whiff of Eton College to make my showering more pleasant and definitely not to fragrance me for the rest of the day.

If one were to re-assess the shaving soaps in this and the other thread, accepting that they are supposed only to give a hint, a whiff of which ever fragrance with the lather, would they then pass muster, I wonder?

Interesting thread. I, too, picked this up at the sale price but have yet to use it. A big reason was because I have the matching EdT so it will be nice to use the pair. (I have the same setup with BB and it is wonderful.)
For £9, it does seem a little silly to complain about the value at full price, since that isn't what we paid ;)
It also strikes me that perhaps there is a reason this particular scent was on sale?

Back
Top Bottom