Closed Pass around straight (it's a go now - Swedish razor walkabout) ...

i gave it a go last night - just doing the sides as you suggest in an earlier post - and it felt a bit scrapey. it was a bit disappointing but i will try again. i did the second pass with the straight to get a feel for using it - i even used my left hand.

Well done! :) if your angle is off it'll scrape (if dull too, but often the angle is to much for noobs and that = scrapy feeling/shave). It's great that you use your left hand, if you hang in there it'll give you easier/better shaves in the long run, in my experience.

2nd straight shave this morning - still a bit scrapy but not unbearably so. i managed to do my sides/cheeks and a bit of neck/chin too. very pleased as i'm using 2 hands and have not drawn blood yet!

is it a characteristic of straight shaving that it's a bit less comfortable than DE shaving? it's interesting to compare to using a shavette as i found them to be very smooth but always with a hint of danger about it.

i've enjoyed the process though - sometimes DE shaving seems over too quick but i took my time and enjoyed it. looking forward to my next shave

The angels are more difficult to hit/find and therefor it can feel a little strange and scrapy. This razor's a also a extra hollow one and gives "better" feedback in terms of loudness, especially so if you have heavy/hard stubble.

For me, nowadays, a straight shave is smother than a DE shave, but in general I would say straight razor shaves are more aggressive...

Sure can :D

Where do you live Texas Pete (lets see if someone can help us out and have a look at the edge, if not, maybe you could send it to me or someone close to midlife_crisis)?

midlife_crisis said:
I'm based in Yorkshire, I spend time between Doncaster and Huddersfield.

Feeling very apprehensive now.

I am in Barnsley ( Bang in the middle) I don't hone yet but I can tell you if it's sharp and give it a touch up on a Naniwa 12000 and Crox on balsa. If it needs more than that I will be able to tell and then it will need to be sent to someone more experienced

Mark

i'll give the razor another whirl but i think it needs attention - my technique isn't that bad :)

there seems to be a noticeable nick in the centre of the cutting edge.

Hmm, that doesn't sound so good. Actually rather bad, since it is a good risk you'll nick yourself on that. Better Send to me or if someone in the UK can hone it out, should be fairly easy, since it's very thin steel...

sorry i've not been here for a while - i still have the razor and strop and have not been using it. who should i pass this onto to sharpen before the next victim tries his luck?

since i've had this i acquired a straight in a swap so i will be learning to use a straight some time this year.

Back
Top Bottom