Closed Pass Around: Hone Type 15 - Completed

rc7a84.jpg

Hi mates!

I have been using this HEAVY DUTY razor these days with two different blades: Gillette 7O'Clock yellow and Feather. Here it is this morning shave, using a full Alvarez Gomez set plus Spanish A&A brush. Tomorrow will use one more time (which will totalize 5) and will send on Monday to the next guy. Here are my thoughts:

- I like the way it is constructed/made: it feels solid and well assembled. It seems a small version (in size, not in weight, hehe) of a Merkur Futur.
- I don't like the "pattina", it looks odd IMHO. I would prefer a chrome platted version (or golden). Anyway, I understand the people who like it, the good thing of classic shaving for me is that there are so many options to choose (yeah, I love variety).
- About how it shaves, for me is too heavy. It's difficult to get enough precision in certain parts of the beard because of it, so you must add more pression. Fortunately, it is on the mild side but finally I can not get better results in my hard beard than with a regular Edwin Jagger/Muhle close comb with a heavy handle for example.

Again, many thanks to @riverrun for the opportunity of tasting this razor and I will contact with the next mate on the list tomorrow.

Cheers!
@Sir_eider Thank you for sharing your experiences and your thoughts so clearly :) I enjoyed reading it. As @riverrun has said I am looking at some new finishes and materials which might be of interest. And your English is fantastic, no need to blush about that :). Many Thanks.

Last edited:
The Hone has landed in Devon!

First shave with it in a mo.
Thanks Paul. I'm quite relieved the Hone's trip to Spain went OK. Spanish Mail are bad at tracking, almost as bad as Royal Mail. They still show no knowledge of the tracking number :rolleyes:

Enjoy.

1. Bechet
  2. mikebrownington
  3. rowlers
  4. Stacy555
  5. george
  6. Nico1970
  7. MPH
  8. Whosthedaddy
  9. Sir_eider
  10. Tall_Paul
  11. Dipesh
  12. Geofnay
List closed.

Legend: Currently with, On the way to, Waiting, Completed

Time for me to pass the Hone on.

It is a truly beautiful razor, reassuringly heavy and I love the attention to detail like the usage leaflet in the box.

The only thing stopping me buying one right now is it isn't quite aggressive enough for my very wiry beard. If you like a Feather DE you will love the Hone. Zero chance of cutting yourself with it.

Royal Mail insist that the Hone 15 is now with @Dipesh

1. Bechet
  2. mikebrownington
  3. rowlers
  4. Stacy555
  5. george
  6. Nico1970
  7. MPH
  8. Whosthedaddy
  9. Sir_eider
  10. Tall_Paul
  11. Dipesh
  12. Geofnay
List closed.

Legend: Currently with, On the way to, Waiting, Completed

So I've shaved with this razor.

First impressions. Wow it's heavy.

The shave went well, I used a 7 o'clock yellow with some razorock soap.

The head geometry is great. Very intuitive and quite flexible. I liked that element.

The only thing I didn't like was the weight. It was just far too heavy for me to get the razor to cut nice in difficult patches.

If I needed to use the razor to get a bit more aggressive and use more pressure, the weight made it too difficult to control.

If this razor was lighter, it would be excellent but let's see how I get on.

2 more shaves this week and I'll send it on by the end of the week.

Right it's time to pass this razor on!

Overall, this razor is not for me. The weight of it ruined the experience unfortunately.

It's a great looker though.

I'll pm the next on the list. Thank you for giving me the chance to be a part of this pass around!

Right it's time to pass this razor on!

Overall, this razor is not for me. The weight of it ruined the experience unfortunately.

It's a great looker though.

I'll pm the next on the list. Thank you for giving me the chance to be a part of this pass around!
Thanks, @Dipesh. So, would you be interested in a Hone if Andrew would make a version in aluminium? According to my calculations this would weigh about 50 grams - a third of what the brass Hone weighs.

Thanks, @Dipesh. So, would you be interested in a Hone if Andrew would make a version in aluminium? According to my calculations this would weigh about 50 grams - a third of what the brass Hone weighs.

Potentially, yes. I think it would make it so much better.

Interestingly my tastes back when I first started out was to love heavy razors. Now I've got a decent technique, weight isn't needed so that's why this brass one didn't take my fancy.

Back
Top Bottom