Parker 91R - beginners bad luck!

Hi all,

I recently made my first forays into DE shaving, and have been getting a little more succesful. I didn't even know about DE shaving before about a week or two ago, and had a Parker 91R recommended to me as a decent not too cheap, not too expensive razor. So I bought the razor.

Unfortunately having used this razor a few times it seem faulty. The blade angle/protrusion from the end cap seems uneven on each side, and is different depending on which way the end cap is orientated with respect to the safety bars. I wonder if I am being overly anal about this, but it seems like the razor gives a more aggressiver shave on one side than the other. This is pretty poor, especially for a beginner.

I'm not sure what the purpose of my post is, except maybe to share my experiences. Having read up on Parker razors I get the impression that QC can be iffy, and IMO it's probably not worth the risk for the 91R. If I had prior experience of DE shaving I would probably have sent the razor back straight away, but I didn't know what to look for at the time. It's especially annoying because part of the justification for going DE is thye long-term cost savings!

So, are there any good threads on beginner razors here? Ideally £20-25 and good QC! I'm not sure what to do with the Parker.

Rant over...

get an ej89l and all your problems are solved

for instance

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.theenglishshavingcompany.com/cgi-bin/psProdDet.cgi/DE89Ldb5||@cTraditional%20safety%20&%20double%20edge%20razors@bEdwin%20Jagger|0|user||18|" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.theenglishshavingcompany.com ... |user||18|</a><!-- m -->

Second hand is fine in principle, it's just harder work! I wouldn't have a clue where to look. I hear Gillette Techs can be found cheaply, but on eBay they are all on long bids and don't even seem that cheap all the time either.

hando said:
nowt wrong with sloppy seconds

right PC ;)

Depends who came first. :? I like the Edwin Jagger DE 89L too.

Poppa, if you want to try a particular razor you could always post a request on the BST as you may find someone offers to lend one to you.

I've got the Edwin Jagger 87, only difference (I believe) is the handle material, mine's faux ivory i.e. plastic. They're really beautiful razors and extremely well made. you won't get a better new razor for under 20 quid. Highly recommended.

In fact, seeing as the Parker is a long handle you might like something the same length by Merkur. I have a 23C I can send for you to try out if you like? It's virtually the same razor as your parker, but German made and hence excellent build quality.

Try it for nowt, if you don't like it, post it back. If you like it, make me an offer. It's just a bit long for me.

The Edwin Jaggers do look very nice, and reading up on them the apparent high quality really appeals. The smooth-handled one is a bargain too at Amazon, which is appealing since I feel bad about wasting money on a bad one in the first instance. Does anyone have any feedback on how the smooth handle performs? The lined design looks very attractive too, but I can't imagine they would be as effective as a knurled design.

I doubt its a manufacturing flaw..try a huge of sample blades and go from there..some people like these razors..they are sapposed to be mild..some too mild..others..not enough

B

Blades said:
I doubt its a manufacturing flaw..try a huge of sample blades and go from there..some people like these razors..they are sapposed to be mild..some too mild..others..not enough

B

Having had 3 Parkers through my hands (2 of them not mine) I'd go along with the manufacturing flaw... one of them was perfect, one slightly imperfect the other one like a scythe on side A and like toilet tissue on side B.

A blade made with misaligned slot would be like winning the lotto, being run over by a bus, being hit by an asteroid and gored by a bull - all at the same time.

Back
Top Bottom