palmolive clasic stick

so these are tallow based still at the moment, and are nice and cheap, so my question is this, can i melt it and add say some tea tree oil or patcholi etc

basicly will it melt? and how much oil might it take. any body with advice?

at 49p a stick i suppose i can afford a few mistakes!

cheers steve

They don't tend to melt very easily but you can do it.
I melted some coconut oil, a small bar of dragons blood soap, 1 Palmolive stick and some clay together to make a great shaving soap, smells really nice and very slippy with a decent lather.
Grate the soap first on a normal cheese grater so it melts easily, don't heat too quickly or too much heat, add the oil when it's cooled a little and mix very well if using essential oils, you won't need many drops.
Tea tree is an antiseptic, antifungal, anti everything so should be good in a shave soap.
I'm still experimenting, going to add some other oils and see what happens. I can't believe how cheap these sticks are at 49p, Asda are doing the Wilkinson brushes for £1.49 as well near me.

I use that stick and IMHO is the best soap you can get so cheap. It smells well, get easy lather and works decently. The only con I found is that its packaging is really poor compared with other sticks (spanish sticks like La Toja or LEA are far better in that point), so I decided to get two sticks and put into an IKEA metalic bowl... It's easy because is a soft soap and you can manipulate only with your hands, hehe.

Cheers!

Interesting; buying from Weston's in the UK and shipping to the USA was less than buying in the US. Thanks for the heads up in the prices.

just had a shave with a mix of grated palmolive shavestick and grated dove moisturizing soap 2:1 ratio all pressed in bowl. Not bad. anyone else got there own mixes. will try shavestick and palmolive moisture care soap next.

Soap isn't moisturising bud it's just "less drying" and by adding non shave soap you are probably compromising the lathers ability to hold water which is contrary to what you want to achieve. Have fun mixing but you're better off adding a few drops of glycerine to the lather.

I'd suggest forgetting adding any non-shaving soap to a mix, as it isn't capable of sustaining lather for any length of time. Adding it, therefore, is a bit of a waste, IMO. If you like the idea of mixing, you might be better-off making superlather by loading a wet brush with shaving soap, putting a small amount of shaving cream into your coffee cup, and working the brush in the cup to make a lather from both.

why do people grate palm olive?

you can crush it into the rough shape in the bowl

put some water in bowl to cover it, leave it for a while to soften then you can get the correct shape

or after you have crushed it shave as normal and eventually it will mould to the bowl

shanky887614 said:
why do people grate palm olive?

you can crush it into the rough shape in the bowl

put some water in bowl to cover it, leave it for a while to soften then you can get the correct shape

or after you have crushed it shave as normal and eventually it will mould to the bowl

That's OK if you have strong hands/thumbs - not all of us do for various reasons. I actually cut my Palmolive stick with a sharp knife into slivers, then did as you describe.

You can actually make a quite serviceable shaving lather from ordinary hand or bath soap by adding glycerine.

Load brush as normal and using a bowl create the expected bubbly unstable lather, add a tbs of glycerin (£1 for 200ml Boots) give it a good whirl and it's humectant properties should give you something quite stable and slick. Not tried it with "gentle soaps" but if you use a particular face soap that agrees with you then it might be worth a try.

Back
Top Bottom