Osma Laboratories shaving soap

antdad said:
I'm guessing that including alum would be a lather inhibitor/destabilizer?

You'd think so, eh?

here's a quote (probably out of context ;-) ) from a B&B review:
While MWF gives a luxurious and creamy lather that will leave your face moisturized all day, by comparison this creates a dry lather with little or no moisturizing effect, so it would seem to be shaving soap of lesser quality.

While this may or may not be a quality statement, it does suggest that the alum has a strong influence on the quality of the lather.

Can't find a web site for Osma, so no checking of the ingredients list...

henkverhaar said:
here's a quote (probably out of context ;-) ) from a B&B review:
While MWF gives a luxurious and creamy lather that will leave your face moisturized all day, by comparison this creates a dry lather with little or no moisturizing effect, so it would seem to be shaving soap of lesser quality.

While this may or may not be a quality statement, it does suggest that the alum has a strong influence on the quality of the lather.

Can't find a web site for Osma, so no checking of the ingredients list...

That's what interested me, that whilst the lather produced isn't purported to be great, it's still claimed to give a shave with no irritation at all.
Here is the crux of the issue if judging by the quality or the lather the MWF is superior but when judging the quality of the shave and the amount of irritation things get more complicated. This is where the OSMA soap comes into its own, because of the Alum in the soap it provides a shave with No Irritation, I mean NADA, I don't know if this is because it seal any micro cuts instantly or prevents them from happening.

Applying an Alum block after shaving no sting at all not even a mild one and no redness to at all.
I don't buy into the pseudo science about it sealing micro cuts instantly, but still an interesting soap that I might try someday. Unless somebody with a bit more experience wants to be the proverbial guinea pig and take one for the team that is.

This soap is my very first as i'm new to DE wet shaving and i've had lathering issues, i have been able to get a decent lather but not one that justifies buying a brush and bowl etc, i was using proraso gel before and despite being a latherless gel, the results are exactly the same, i am going to try a shaving cream and if the results are not a marked improvement over the gel, i'm gonna ditch the brush.

I never did get around to trying this soap and I don't think I will now either. You probably didn't pick the easiest soap to begin DE shaving with from what's been mentioned here and elsewhere. Before you give up on soaps completely, it's probably best to go with a soap that's guaranteed to give you a good lather. Something cheap and cheerful like Palmolive or Arko, they are both guaranteed performers and will be a good benchmark for how your technique is.

Yes, 'twas me.
(My, you guys are good!)

As a soap it lathers reasonably well. Nothing for me to complain about.
(But Arko is way better)

BUT
(Note that was a big but, with a warning implied)

Although the tin looks cool, I positively hate using it!
That aluminium tin has a very thin and sharp edge. I am VERY wary about loading my brush, as I feel that the hairs around the edge of the brush will be chewed away by the sharp edge of the tin. I value my brushes too much to use the Osma in the tin. I am going to decant the puck into some other container before it gets used again.

Rod

I've recently acquired some of this soap. It didn't come in a tin, but a plastic jar with a metal screw-on lid, and it smelled a bit like Davidhoff Coolwater, which I like.

It lathers OK, and seems to do the job, but whilst lathering and adding a bit of water to the mix (I palm lather) you can hear it fizz, which is not good.

Lacks a bit of slickness, as you may expect with the alum, but the lather does the job and does not seem particularly drying.

Ian

What's wrong with it fizzing Ian?

..... And cool water is a rip off of Creed Green Irish Tweed which smells like cat pee to me.... :)

It's funny how different we all are.... :huh::D

Fizzing is the sound of bubbles bursting, and lather is basically made out of soap, water and air. If you apply a lather to your face and it's too wet, it fizzes and disappears. It usually means that you need to use more soap/cream in the mix.

Ian

Back
Top Bottom