Operation Chrome Dome The restoration of a Tilley lamp.

A little while ago Satanfriendly most generously offerd to give me an old Tilley lamp for free
with the understanding that I would make use of it, so off we go.

The lamp in question is a X246A with a Speculum plated fount, usually thay are painted so it's a premium finish.
Speculum is made up with the following ingredients

16.5 parts Tin
32 parts Copper
4 parts Brass
1.25 Arsenic

Condition on arrival
20231018_105256.jpg20231018_105328.jpg

Last edited:
ive got a couple of 50s era bialadin lamps in the garage that my dad brought home when he left the army in 1978.
fired one of them up in about 2015 for the first time since bringing them home, used a blowtoarch to preheat and with a few enthusiastic pumps it roared into life with the light of a thousand or so suns and the same heat.
fantastic lamps. im sure ypu will get yours in great working condition as they are bulletproof.

ive got a couple of 50s era bialadin lamps in the garage that my dad brought home when he left the army in 1978.
fired one of them up in about 2015 for the first time since bringing them home, used a blowtoarch to preheat and with a few enthusiastic pumps it roared into life with the light of a thousand or so suns and the same heat.
fantastic lamps. im sure ypu will get yours in great working condition as they are bulletproof.
I've been cleaning all the parts up, and tomorrow I'll be replacing all the seals with a service kit I'm confident it'll lick off.

And so happy I sent your way. Already in with the elbow grease I see and I know I am going to give it wow value followed by 'I wish'
Thanks, it's coming along, it's not going to be perfect because of the corrosion has eaten through the finish, but that doesn't matter to me as it's an old lamp and the spots hardly show.
I've found the fuel starvation problem Mr twat face that is me didn't tighten down a nut in the pump assembly so not enough pressure was being made :ROFLMAO:

OK so I've found the problem. I didn't tighten the pump washer retaining nut when I overhauled the pump assembly, resulting in not enough pressure :rolleyes:
With a new mantle, it's time to light up the lamp for the first time.
View attachment 112472

Absolutely wonderful and so well done John. So happy to see it working and knowing it went to a good home.

Hopefully I've done Satanfriendly proud and he's happy that his old lamp will continue to light up my darkness for years to come.

I don't do light

Thank you, it's sometimes the little things that stop things working.
next thing is to fire it up and pump up the pressure untill it is glowing blindingly white hot and roaring like a jet plane on afterburners.
as mr satan has just said, it was on a school holiday with the army. massive tents with parrafin lamps., we all had a shot at pumping it up.
im sure i got sunburn from the lamp. :ROFLMAO:

Back
Top Bottom