open comb razors

Thanks very much for that, BS.

Guess what I want for Christmas?! (Okay...maybe Bonfire Night......Halloween?...)

An Edwin Jagger-lined handle? So then it's not the original handle that Muehle would have sent out attached to the head? in that case, would this EJ handle make the razor heavier, seeing as the original R41 handle is hollow? Sorry for all the questions! Oh, forgot to ask (!): Is it true that Merkur makes the heads for the R41?

Thanks again,

Nape

EDIT: D'you think I've gone overboard with the word 'handle' in the above handle post handle?

Just when I think I am done (eleven razors new and old) I get dragged back in. When a chap has had a taste of open comb (albeit a 1918 model) how is he to resist an R41, what with Christmas and birthday looming?

Thats the spirit Fido!!!!

lol that sounded like a quote from Al Pacino in Godfather 3

Al Pacino / Michael Corleone said:
Just when I thought I was out... they pull me back in.

Beginning to think there's a very fine line between informing and enabling.

Looks like some of those bells are headed for auction then, Fido! That should boost the 'razor apPEAL fund'! :roll:

Boab and I are not on commission from English Shaving or Shaving Shack -honest!

Has anyone got any passing thoughts on the Merkur OC range or Shaving Shacks (own branded) Open Combs...?

Paul has a nice range of Merkur OC, at Connaught, I see...here we go again!

Remember friends, there are only 64 shaving days left till Christmas !!

:lol:

I have the following open comb razors:

Merkur 11C - a razor that I enjoy using; it's not at all aggressive and gives a good shave. Quite elegant in it's own way.
Gillette New - took a while to warm to it; gives a great shave although I have a tendency to nick myself under the nose with it. :roll: more aggressive than the 11c
New Improved (I think) the ones withe the diamond check pattern. Arguably the best razor I've tried.

Rik.

I've just finished table tennis practice, so now to more serious stuff. So where's the best deal on the R41?
As you move closer to 70 than 60 there's no time to mess around. I don't intend to depart having missed out on something.

Click the link in Audios post and you get the razor in a nice tin for £30, however I don't know if you get the new or old version.Might be worth asking.The going rate seems to be about £25 or 30 euro direct from Muehle.

Fido said:
I've just finished table tennis practice, so now to more serious stuff. So where's the best deal on the R41?
As you move closer to 70 than 60 there's no time to mess around. I don't intend to depart having missed out on something.

At the risk of overt advertising I got mine from the Shack - and got great service as usual. At £24.99 + pp I seem to recall.

:roll:

The Naked Man got it.

New version R41 £25
Mühle Sandalwood £5

Free postage for order of £30.

Picked up a plinth for one of my bells today made by a local wood turner instead of the Whitechapel Bell Foundry - saving around £30. So I have not spent anything.
Pity about the postal strikes.

interesting, is it a muehle specific design or do merkur have the same head on their own models?
Do they also supply the E.J brand?

Back
Top Bottom