Only one soap

Hiya,

Thankfully, my SAD is a cheap high, compared to being a brush or razor whore. Whew, dodged a few bullets there.

One thing I hate is non buyers remorse, so being proactive only makes sense. Yep, if no more's being made, buy it before it's unavailable if you really like the stuff. I have a few stories about that subject and they ain't pleasant. Plus jeeez, many soaps and some creams last for lots of shaves and most will handle long storage ok. Regrets are sorry things that I try to avoid, so it's a preventative thing. That's mostly it I think and certainly not because I'm low on soaps to use....sheesh.

In addition, I do have a decent sized chattering monkey on my back to deal with when it comes to seeing soap/cream 'vintage stuff'! It's often difficult NOT to acquire those things....for whatever warped reason.

Yeah, pretty lucky getting away cheap on my AD choices in general though.

Martin

I attempted to keep numbers down, I now have maybe twenty soaps, many of which I don't really use, I have ended up back where I started rotating a few phoenix and beau offerings.... Should really offer a few back up for sale/trade someday, but I'll drag them back out and try them again in about six months then the cycle will start again....

Since my original post, I decided to treat myself to some creams! Aqua do parma, musgo real, proraso and body shop. I love them all and decided to use them one by one.
All kept away from my bathroom out of sight. .
I am a bit wary of their shelf life after opening, but load a large brush quite heavily and will enjoy the next year.
Don’t you worry about shelf life,
most of us on here have vintage soap’s dating back to the 60’s possibly longer
Creams can dry out a bit but still perfectly usable

I try to be sensible and exercise some restraint.
I have probably 5 soaps which I rotate, not 50, and I don't feel guilty if my stock would be probably sufficient for several years.
I ask for instance soaps and aftershaves as birthday or Christmas presents.
But if we are on this forum it means that we love shaving gear and to shave with new stuff...

Hiya,

Here's a few soaps not seen too often. The IK is known for it's post shave excellence with a lilac note to it. I've used this a lot in the past.

The Pre Provence is the older version before reformulation and I gotta say it's the best soap I've used when it comes to a great moisturizing feel after shaving. Verlaine scent is just ok but still happy to have this in the arsenal.

The tallow based Royal London gets some excellent reviews but haven't tried it yet. Scent's pretty much gone but them's the breaks.

Sheesh, it never ends,

Martin

Attachments

• 20231103_063321.jpg
    20231103_063321.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 17
My idea was always to find the soap, that best fits my personal preferences, always keep that in the den and rotate a few others.
I finally got my choices down to 2 soaps and 2 creams.

So now, the difficult part it's to 3017 most of the other soaps without buying anything new.
So at my current home I've got about 4.5 soaps to go through, plus 3 "vintage" soaps (I don't see the point of keeping soaps that I can not buy again) and about 3 scents of my selected soaps that I don't care for.
All in all, even though I offloaded a bunch of soaps that I also didn't care for, to my hometown, I'm sure that I'm in a better position than most :p

Reactions: PHR
Well, I think I've got over my phobia for only 1 soap. Decided to treat myself to quality brands I've tried in the past.
Aqua di parma croap, musgo real black edition and spiced amber. Plus SV cosmo, dolomite and the new agriana. Using the latter plus the black musgo real. Will use until finished then go onto another. All perform wonderfully and i also know my skin is great after the shave. I feel calm and relaxed!

difficult because bad soaps in opinion are just not there, and which one is best is impossible to say.
I have at the moment: Martin the Candre, excellent
Stiring bergamot lavender, excellent as others I had
Mitchell's, excellent
Taylor sandalwood, excellent

What I am not doing is buying the same brand in different scents. I tend to use scent-neutral soaps and used the AS I like in that particular moment. I think that the concept of soap+AS+cream line with the same scent is just a merchandising trick

Hiya,

Here's a few soaps not seen too often. The IK is known for it's post shave excellence with a lilac note to it. I've used this a lot in the past.

The Pre Provence is the older version before reformulation and I gotta say it's the best soap I've used when it comes to a great moisturizing feel after shaving. Verlaine scent is just ok but still happy to have this in the arsenal.

The tallow based Royal London gets some excellent reviews but haven't tried it yet. Scent's pretty much gone but them's the breaks.

Sheesh, it never ends,

Martin
Provence Sante not Pre de Provence. Both equally fantastic...

Back
Top Bottom