One to avoid - HandbagsAndPerfumes.com

I hate to make posts like this, but feel duty bound to. I really facied trying some AoS soap, and googled to find a UK supplier at a decent price. Most came in around the £34-£35 mark, once postage was added. I decided to go with the above as they were selling it at £33.99 with free postage, which made it slightly cheaper than the others.

They have UK phone numbers and took payment in sterling.

What a nasty surprise when I get a card saying I have an item with a customs payment due - total £11.67.

They had shipped from hong kong, which meant VAT was charged, along with a handling fee.

There was no indication at time of ordering that it was actually going to be shipped from elsewhere. It is only reading the terms and conditions that the possibility of additional costs is mentioned.

This meant I have actually paid rather a high price, and I suspect two lots of VAT.

Paul.

I don't mean to come across as rude (because I don't mean it that way) but if you had registered on here previous to giving a bad report on a company (which is a heads up for us all), introduced yourself and expressed an interest in that particular product, someone would have pointed you in the right direction and you wouldn't be feeling fleeced at this very moment in time.

FWIW I've tried AoS sandalwood and I didn't rate it too highly but im sure it has its followers.

From their T&C page (http://www.handbagsandperfumes.com/Terms.htm)

Goods ordered from Handbagsandperfumes.com are shipped securely from our Europe, Far East and USA logistics facilities, not the United Kingdom (unless otherwise stated).

That would be starting to ring alarm bells with me - even though the site itself is hosted in the UK all their logistics are abroad?

Further down it says

We don’t charge V.A.T on the products listed on Handbagsandperfumes.com. Any additional import duties/customs fees are to be borne by the customer.

Instantly that means they're outside the European Economic Area (EU + Norway, Iceland, Switzerland and a couple of others) - so a VAT stiffing is likely... plus a customs clearance fee (which is considerably more than the VAT on a £30 soap).

Perhaps now you've found us, we can help you not fall in that same man trap in future?

Being a bit nosey I found that Catty has posted exactly the same post on B&B plus various other posts too. I hope he pops back and introduces himself, as it seems he is after a more British (UKish?) perspective on things. I'm sure we can help! :D

That must have stung a bit, I agree they are very confusing there in the description HM. Hope he pops back as I am sure we could help. Having said that the website name puts me off alone.

Back
Top Bottom