On This Day

After my nan died I took my grandfather to France to find graves of mates blown up on d day.

All the English lads then just behind the Germans and you think.. madness! Utter madness!

The American cemetery is impressive but again.. what's wrong with everyone? No need for it all.
Gives me a headache
I won't forget what I seen that weekend.
The Americans lost many lads in that war. And they stayed

Me and a couple of the lads went over to the Somme, Flanders, Menin Gate etc on our motorbikes, educated ourselves in the trench museum and visited many of the cemeteries like Tyne Cot. We did eventually locate Andy's uncle's gravestone. It was a very moving and sobering experience as we remembered those who gave all for our freedom. Of course I had studied the C20 history at school but nothing brings home the sheer scale of the sacrifice like standing in amongst the rows and rows of unending white crosses. Especially poignant that many are German too, in those graveyards, hopefully all at peace now, as I dare say many were not there by choice. I think the only thing that affected me more than that trip was when I went to Auschwitz/Oswiecim. And still it carries on.

Back
Top Bottom