Omega 10005 - wow!

Hi all,

This morning I received a 10005 from Connaught (thanks Paul!). I've read a lot about this brush on Shave My Face and wanted to give one a go.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.connaughtshaving.com/10005.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.connaughtshaving.com/10005.html</a><!-- m -->

Well, all I can say is, if this isn't the best value brush in shaving, I don't know what is. Dr. Moss (of Scuttle fame) has several of these brushes and after just using it, I can understand why.

It's 22mm knot, 55mm loft. The handle is beech, which I believe is very tolerant of water. The photos don't do it justice. It's one of the most comfortable handles I've used on a brush at any price. What sets it apart from other wooden handles I've used (bar the LE 2009) is that it has a bit of heft - far more than the other Semogues I own.

The bristles feel soft right out of the box, and after a soak are very soft, as soft as the LE 2009 if not more. The bristles are very springy and have plenty of resilience. It did not have any unpleasant odour, unlike my Pro 49 and 48.

Honestly, I would go as far to say it has similar qualities to the Stubby 2 I had, which was an awesome brush. The Stubby was £109. This little fella is £10 shipped! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I know everyone is hyping the Semogues at the moment, but do give Omegas a go if you haven't. I have found the tips to be softer than the Semogues I have, even right out of the box. If they are going to get even softer through use, I simply cannot wait! :shock:

I will post a full review of this brush once it has fully broken in.

John

From memory, I would say that its tips are softer and that it has a bit more backbone. The handle is definitely heavier and easier to grip. Lather wise, great flow-through and held enough for 3 passes on my first shave, I only see it getting better from here!

John

The LE is quite a bit bigger, due to it's wider knot. The lofts are the same. Personally, I find the LE a little large for face lathering - I like to splay and lather up in circular motions, and the 10005 is much more manageable performing this task.

The LE is a tad denser - but for its size the 10005 seems pretty dense, certainly denser than my 1520.

I will post a full verdict of this brush once it's broken in a bit more and I've tried it with more soaps and creams!

So far though - seriously impressed.

John

Agreed, these are excellent brushes. Just wait until it is fully broken in.
I'm pleased to see a vendor with this model in stock. They have become difficult to source here in North America, perhaps because Chris Moss spoke so highly of them, purchased several, and swore off badger.

Hello Folks

I haven't posted for a while, been busy.

I got a 10005 in the last week, what can I say, it's a lovely brush so far and I'm well happy, It's a bit smaller than the Omega 48/49 that I'm used to.
I got it from Connaught together with the P160 duro, what a combination. :D

cheers

Pete

Have been using this brush exclusively since I got it.

This brush is amazing - I prefer it even to my Semogues. Definitely has softer tips, but still plenty of backbone. Seriously guys, this is the closest you're going to get to a Rooney Heritage Stubby without spending considerably more.

I'm going to order a couple more and keep one in a drawer and rotate the other two.

I highly recommend this brush to any newbies - it's great! :mrgreen:

John

Which Savile Row did you go for? I'd like to try one of the new shorter loft versions of the 3122 or 3120.

Obviously, the Omega will not be as dense as the Stubby. But, I do find the face feel very similar, which is remarkable given the price difference!

I prefer this brush to all the Semogues I've tried, including the LE 2009, which I have sold. A first? ;-)

John

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.qedusa.com/savile-savile-3122-silvertip-badger-22mm-knot-p-119.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.qedusa.com/savile-savile-312 ... p-119.html</a><!-- m -->

Another via Dallas.

When it arrives, that's it. No room for more - or need. But as with everything to do with this lark, need is irrelevant. Hmmmm, can my resolve survive a trip to Jermyn Street next week? Might just pick up one example of a three T's label. Should just squeeze it in.

BK.jpg

Back
Top Bottom