Olive oil?

I thought I'd have a look at moneysavingexpert.com to see if anything had been written about DE shaving. (Yes, I know that everyone here is spending more than they used to!) I came across this quote:

"Don't forget to put your blades in olive oil or something similar after use so that they don't go blunt as quickly. It's oxidisation of the metal between it being wet and dry that makes them go blunt, not the actual shaving. I used to always do this and they lasted much longer."

Now can this possibly be true? I really can't see how a blade sitting in my bathroom cabinet can blunt quicker than when it's chopping down great swathes of my thick, manly stubble. Even if I don't bother to dry it after each shave. Anyone know better? :shock:

On a stainless blade used daily - I can't see it. On a carbon blade used twice a week, I could just about believe it might be a problem.

Of course you'd have to make sure that the olive oil was both moisture free and fully deoxygenated to make a blind bit of difference.

Take advice on MSE with a pinch of salt - there are people there that advocate the save-a-blade type devices, shaving for 3 months with a single Bic disposable and the like. Usually women who have no clue about shaving. Don't get me started about the advice that's given on electrical work - some of that is downright dangerous even if it was competently carried out (any registered electrician would be prosecuted for some of the suggestions made by the clueless).

I saw that advice given to a lady who had trouble with a DE blade going rusty between leg shaves - err that's between shaving legs rather than saving between legs, I mean.

mmmm between leg shaves...

2141808218_7bb9d4ed06.jpg

Damian Murphy said:
Sounds like they are confused . Are you thinking of trying it out PigCat ?

Been there, done that!

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://theshavingroom.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1698" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1698</a><!-- l -->

:lol:

Mineral oil (liquid paraffin) would certainly be better than any, or at least most, vegetable oil(s). However, unless you shave once a week, or month, or so, it is most definitely the shaving itself that blunts the blade. Rusting, especially of stainless blades, is negligible/insignificant as a cause of blunting in that time frame.

Back
Top Bottom