old strops

evening all
I have gone and bought a bulldog paddle strop for not a lot off of ebay,what are peoples feelings on using old strops
are they worth the hastle of restoration ect :roll:

I don't think there is a black and white answer to this question. If you only spend your own time and already have the materials, the cost/benefit can be quite good. However, what is your time worth?

Also, is the older strop "better" than the new stuff? Is it the savings that makes it worth it? Just questions to ask yourself, I don't think there's a right or wrong answer. Personally, I don't see any advantage over an older strop other than the cost. But even then, how much is a DIY strop? (Don't have the answer to that, just another question. I just buy my strops new.)

I have been unlucky with 2 old strops, 1 came with a bundle of 12 straights and a coti i got from an old barber, the razors and coti were fine, but the leather in the stop was perishing, the other one came with a razor i got from the bay, a lovely razor, but again the strop was falling apart and unusable, if i wanted a old strop, i would have to see it before i buy it, so e bay is out of the eqaution.

5842996542_a8b984a22d_m.jpg

Heres the bull dog strop it looked a right state when i picked it up flakey and dried out,I read some where that you can rub soap into them to perk them up dont know if this is to be recommended, but i thought it looked pretty dead any way.

the results were very impressive turned it from looking like shredded wheat back to leather its got a fair few small nicks on it but nothing that looks excessive.
Will see if i can get some neasfoot oil and see what happens, even if it turns out to be a dud it still looks nice i like the bull dog logo

Very nice the leather looks like it came up a treat. Did you just use straight soap or saddle soap?

I would try a razor on it before I gave it a go with neasfoot oil you might like how it feels now and the oil will change its draw.

I have done a few old strops myself. I have a tendency to give my restored stops away with a razor when friends ask me to try one.

thanks exile yes just used palmollive stick wish i had taken some before pictures as the change was quite dramatic.the colour has faded a little.
do you think it would be a good idea to apply more untill it stabilises,I gave it a cupple of test strops just to see how it felt and was quite impressed with the feel of it.
May just try using it for a while and see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom