Old Spark Plugs and Police Whistles

Shemen Zait said:
Sezer74 said:
Hi,
Besides the collection of shaving stuff, I also collect the vintage spark plugs and police whistles. If you got any that you want to get rid of please give me a shout.

They will love you on Flog it! Cem :)

Now those are some odd things to covet. The good news is most people would consider those about as interesting and valuable as shaving crap, so the price would be right in the wild. I would guess among other weirdos like yourself there would be some especially desirable ones, hard as that is to believe.

Heh, just screwin with ya....mostly.

At one time I was going to estate sales pretty regularly and got to know other buyers on the circuit and what they liked. Yeah, some liked books and other knew their cameras. People looked for watches and jewelry and whatever.....they all had their schtick.

Anyway, there was one woman who went for old tools. That was her thing and she knew a bunch about those. Soon as she got into a house she'd head to the basement and start rummaging around. She must have done really well cherry picking those heavy old dirty money making things.

Martin

You ain't a weirdo - just interestingly different. I think it is a basic human instinct in people to want to remember things - save things from the tip. I am not interested in the same stuff you are, but you'd probably not be interested in the same things as I am. I find it a lamentable void in most people; only interested in the newest.

I love to read and would spend the better part of my waking hours doing so if I hadn't anything else pressing. The "best seller list" of books holds no interest for me. I am a person "not of my time", and I sometimes feel a bit weird too.

I am interested in everything and everybody, but I place the very highest value on people who've invented themselves -- not just photo copies of the people around them.

Look around - see the very few who are true originals. Not too many of us, eh?
~
p.s. - I like old paperweights.

Nothing strange about cop kit collecting at all m8. Seem to be loads of people into it. I've even known guys come to the front counter at a cop shop enquiring about where they could purchase old items. And American collectors not infrequently mailed Police HQ wanting to buy / swap shoulder patches or badges.

JohnnyO. :icon_razz:/.

pjgh said:
Do you have any pictures to show us, Cem? I'd certainly be interested to see the vintage spark plugs. Linking that with shaving, wasn't there an aftershave that came in a spark plug bottle?

when I was looking at e-bay I think I saw 'skinbracer' in different interesting bottles.
there is the most recent ones, two champions, big one is pre-war detachable 22mm

Attachments

• IMG_1280.JPG
    IMG_1280.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 45
Not my type of thing to collect but I get it. The oil cans sure do interest me though. I have a fair few old Primus stoves from a few different manufacturers, and a number of hurricane lamps and pressure lamps. I have an old blow lamp too but I lack the knowledge to get it up ad running. T'would be a handy thing too given the paraffin I keep for the old stoves.

You ain't weird, you're just you....

BigBoar said:
I have to say, they are handsome. I can appreciate the engineering that has gone into them!

Yes, like the DE and straight razors, old ones are built to last. they can be cleaned and if detachable like this big one, parts can be replaced.
Also with old spark plugs, like any other stuff, the makers invested time and money in their own design including their logo, displaying it proudly. Not like the new stuff as they all look very similar

Yup. Taking the time and effort to work brass, because it's self lubricating and hardness make it worthwhile is something to be commended. The throw away culture really bothers me.

Gairdner said:
Not my type of thing to collect but I get it. The oil cans sure do interest me though. I have a fair few old Primus stoves from a few different manufacturers, and a number of hurricane lamps and pressure lamps. I have an old blow lamp too but I lack the knowledge to get it up ad running. T'would be a handy thing too given the paraffin I keep for the old stoves.

You ain't weird, you're just you....

With the blow lamps, as long as there is no pressure leak from the leather cup in the pump it should work, you know that you have to heat up the nozzle by putting some meth spirits in the little bowl where the nozzle comes out. then just wait until the smoke comes out then carefully with the prickler if you clean the jet then it should fire. They make amazing sound like a jet engine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUs94QCqN6Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9zgI10tp2o

JohnnyO said:
Nothing strange about cop kit collecting at all m8. Seem to be loads of people into it. I've even known guys come to the front counter at a cop shop enquiring about where they could purchase old items. And American collectors not infrequently mailed Police HQ wanting to buy / swap shoulder patches or badges.

JohnnyO. :icon_razz:/.

Been in the museum in the Merchant City Johnny?

Back
Top Bottom