Old Gillette Street Advertising

Took this photo this afternoon. Thought I'd better try and capture this old Gillette wall advertisment before it fades out completely! You can see the ad from my office window, but to take this picture I had to climb to the roof of a car park (accompanied at all times by a security guard!). The wall is located on the corner of Commercial Street E1 and Toynbee Street E1, in London's East End. Don't know if the commercial premises below was originally a barbers, but it's now an opticians. Wonder what the original ad looked like, and how old it is?

[attachment=0]

Attachments

• Gillette.jpg
    360 bytes · Views: 200
factormax said:
Took this photo this afternoon. Thought I'd better try and capture this old Gillette wall advertisment before it fades out completely! You can see the ad from my office window, but to take this picture I had to climb to the roof of a car park (accompanied at all times by a security guard!). The wall is located on the corner of Commercial Street E1 and Toynbee Street E1, in London's East End. Don't know if the commercial premises below was originally a barbers, but it's now an opticians. Wonder what the original ad looked like, and how old it is?

[attachment=0]

Snap:

102689559_bff29ce0af.jpg

sunburyboy93 said:
factormax said:

[attachment=0]

Snap:

102689559_bff29ce0af.jpg

Amazing! Do you also work or live in the area yourself?

factormax said:
sunburyboy93 said:
factormax said:

[attachment=0]

Snap:

102689559_bff29ce0af.jpg

Amazing! Do you also work or live in the area yourself?

No, simply the power of google image search....there is a big hi-res photo on the Flickr Page

http://www.flickr.com/photos/peteashton/102689559/sizes/l/

Funny that an American brand was sold as Made In England.

Now we have British brands (Roberts Radios, Hunter Wellies et al) made overseas (China in the case of those two.)

:(

The worst offender imho is Belstaff waxed motorbike jackets: ex-Staffordshire, now Italy; still badged with big Union Flag.

Rev-O said:
Funny that an American brand was sold as Made In England.

Were Gillette blades never made in England then, Rev?

That'd be Mr Sturzaker (or a similar noise), if I remember rightly?

Back
Top Bottom