Old Edwin Jagger D89

Recently I dropped yet another Edwin Jagger DE89, only to watch in horror as the zamak (the devils metal) stud sheared away leaving my razor useless in two pieces.​

As I beheld this all too predictable horror, I wondered to myself, 'does anyone make a clone of this delightful razor in an actual metal? Machined from steel perhaps? Because I would buy such a razor. I would buy the hell out of such a razor'.
Anyone?

The Razorock MJ-90 has already been mentioned - from what I can garner it's aluminium and it's also DLC coated. Yeah, I'd love a stainless 89. Of course, there's the Muhle Rocca which is not exactly the same and I know you've been critical of the lack of drain holes but it is a damn nice razor to use.

With an overall balanced weight, the DE89 facilitates control and comfort without feeling too light or unwieldy. Its aggressiveness rating hits a sweet spot for both comfort and efficiency, allowing for a close shave without excessive irritation, especially when paired with a feather blade. Though the Zamak construction may not rival the longevity of stainless steel, the razor is built to endure with regular use. Aesthetically, the ‘very, very few imperfections’ in its bright, shiny finish reflect a high level of attention to detail in the plating process. The DE89, with its pleasing weight distribution, decent handle length, and beautiful aesthetic, positions itself as a compelling choice for anyone seeking quality and elegance in their daily shave.

So, my slow brain has concluded that EJ may be asking the average punter to recognise a distinction between a machined (brass) handle and a die-cast (zamak) head, based on their description of the DE89. I would suggest that Neil needs to amend the DE89 description ...

I personally hate the look of any DE89 head, smiley face if you look at the end of the head, caved in in the middle of the bottom, chopped off alignment pins, and the blade bed fulcrums are too far away from the edge of the cap, it looks like a joke. Somehow it does shave reasonably well, so I guess it's ok. I wish they were brass, and came unplated, they would look better and I could sand the bottom flat and use a Gillette OLD type cap. :cool:

If only Edwin Jagger would give Fatip a ring, ask them to run out a few hundred thousand brass DE89 heads, then send them off to Muhle for chrome plating, get them back and stick one of their better handles on, contract the packaging out to Feather and the case design and advertising to Gillette. They would have an Anglo/German/Italian/Japanese/American runaway success.

I personally hate the look of any DE89 head, smiley face if you look at the end of the head, caved in in the middle of the bottom, chopped off alignment pins, and the blade bed fulcrums are too far away from the edge of the cap, it looks like a joke. Somehow it does shave reasonably well, so I guess it's ok. I wish they were brass, and came unplated, they would look better and I could sand the bottom flat and use a Gillette OLD type cap. :cool:
I think the caved in middle of the bottom is actually there to direct flow of lather, although how much it really does, I've no way of finding out at the moment.
For what's it worth, I have been able to use an old type cap with a DE89 base plate with success. I'd even say it was smoother that way than the stock top cap, but I'd need to compare them directly in the same shave and with the same blade to be able to say for sure.

If only Edwin Jagger would give Fatip a ring, ask them to run out a few hundred thousand brass DE89 heads, then send them off to Muhle for chrome plating, get them back and stick one of their better handles on, contract the packaging out to Feather and the case design and advertising to Gillette. They would have an Anglo/German/Italian/Japanese/American runaway success.

Hey,... I wear bifocals!!!
A bare brass, flat bottomed, OC, DE89, sounds better,... maybe silver plated with a solid brass Star DE handle, also silver plated.

1706922572287.png

I've got a few razors with a head that kind of shape and size, and I imagine I am in the minority, but I find them a bit too large. There's something about how they hold the blade too, I've never quite taken too as well.

Nonetheless, they definitely have a market and I'm perplexed EJ or Muhle never got around to releasing a proper SS DE89 head. They would sell lots and lots.

My favourite 'modern' razor head is the Yaqi Mellon/DOC? Have you ever used one Toby? I like it, it's a good razor. Double Open Comb, and it's based on an old razor. It's not a NEW LC but not much is. I'm with you about the OLD top cap.

I've got a few razors with a head that kind of shape and size, and I imagine I am in the minority, but I find them a bit too large. There's something about how they hold the blade too, I've never quite taken too as well.

Nonetheless, they definitely have a market and I'm perplexed EJ or Muhle never got around to releasing a proper SS DE89 head. They would sell lots and lots.

My favourite 'modern' razor head is the Yaqi Mellon/DOC? Have you ever used one Toby? I like it, it's a good razor. Double Open Comb, and it's based on an old razor. It's not a NEW LC but not much is. I'm with you about the OLD top cap.
I wouldn't mind having the original "Grand Shave King Self Lubricating Razor", but not the Yaqi, I avoid China products on principle.
I've been shaving with a New LC lately myself, with a Durham Duplex handle, perfect shave every time!
The Gillette OLD cap is a good fix for most Zamak heads, and for those who don't like FaTip handles it gives you standard threads so you can use other handles.
:cool: (y)

I wouldn't mind having the original "Grand Shave King Self Lubricating Razor", but not the Yaqi, I avoid China products on principle.
I've been shaving with a New LC lately myself, with a Durham Duplex handle, perfect shave every time!
The Gillette OLD cap is a good fix for most Zamak heads, and for those who don't like FaTip handles it gives you standard threads so you can use other handles.
:cool: (y)

They are wonderful razors. The NEW LC used to be my go to razor for a few days worth of growth, but recently I've been gravitating towards my Ever Ready 1912.

I've bought a few Yaqi/MIC razors over the years but nothing for a while. I prefer buying/using second hand/vintage razors. They seem to have a bit of character. I picked up two Flare Tips last year. One is mild, the other is quite a bit more efficient, much more than my Red Tip! I can understand it might not be for everyone, but I like these little surprises.

Brass, with a flat bottom, looks much better.

There already is a stainless flat-bottom ... it's called the Rocca. And, it uses a long slot with elongated pegs, taking the best from the Tech. Cue a short round of Peg Wars. That brass razor does look very good indeed!
Who the hell want's a stainless (it stains anyway) razor?!!!
I think they also make a titanium (rather have aluminum) flat bottom one called Titan.

Back
Top Bottom